Location and Job Title:
Overnight Camp Counselors, Camp Chi (Summer 2021)
300 Revere Drive
Northbrook, IL 60062
JCC Chicago's Camp Chi is one of the Midwest's premier resident camps. Each summer, Chi serves boys and girls in 4th-11th grade through two-, four- and eight-week camp sessions. Set on 600 acres near the Wisconsin Dells, Chi offers the best facilities and over 30 specialty activities that aim to build campers' skills and boost self-esteem.
Camp Chi's counselors and supervisors are responsible for the camper in their cabin life, including health, safety, happiness, daily routines and care, and group dynamics. This is the talented team that helps makes summer memories campers never forget!
- Serve as a leader, positive role model, and upstanding member of the Camp Chi staff team.
- Be responsible for self and camper care.
- Be present and participatory in all cabin and village activities.
- Embody and demonstrate Camp Chi's core values of kindness, community and respect.
- Communicate proactively, regularly and openly with supervisors, staff members and camp leadership.
- Adhere to and assist enforcement of Camp Chi's rules, regulations, and policies.
- Serve as a positive role models for their campers by following and enforcing camps rules, policies, and core values.
- Manage the health, safety, happiness, and well-being of their campers.
- Plan creative and engaging age-appropriate activities and programs.
- Working collaboratively with co staff and supervisors to ensure positive camper experiences.
Training: June 6-June 19, 2021
Camp Dates: June 20-August 13, 2020
Summer stipend commensurate with experience. Room and board included. Post camp opportunities available.
Essential Job Duties/Physical Requirements:
- Ability to lift and carry 25 to 50 lbs.
- Physical stamina and agility required to stand for long periods of time, some bending, stooping, walking long distances, hiking, climbing, and stretching.
- Ability to supervise campers by sight and sound.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to react with physical and mental alertness in emergency situations.
- Must be able to rotate head side to side to scan the environment.
- Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate equipment and camp activities.
- Mental alertness; sustain concentration for long periods of time.
- Willingness and ability to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities, with daily exposure to the sun, heat, and animals such as bugs, etc.
- Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
Here for summer. Home for life.
Each and every summer, the magic happens for over 1,400 campers. Camp Chi's 600 acres become a place where the shy walk away from their shadows. The cool learn to be warm. The uncertain seize adventure. And strangers become lifelong friends.
For nearly a century - Camp Chi has transformed children's summers. We unplug them from the stress and technology of their daily lives and plug them into life-changing moments. A soccer player takes the stage. An artist reaches the high ropes. Everyone becomes fluent in kindness and friendship. And the camp becomes a community as they celebrate Shabbat and discover the spirit of Israel has a home in Lake Delton, Wisconsin.