Location and Job Title:
Director of the Selma and Lawrence Ruben Center for 20s + 30s
Marlene Meyerson JCC Manhattan
334 Amsterdam Ave
New York, NY 10023
General Purpose of the Position: Create community for young adults in their 20s+30s by executing programs and events and cultivating relationships. Responsible for generating interest, enthusiasm and participation; collaborating with other JCC programmers and with staff at other Jewish organizations where appropriate; and engaging with constituents at events, on the phone and through email and online social networks.
- Conceptualize, plan and facilitate a variety of programs for people in their 20s + 30s including:
- Shabbat dinners and holiday parties
- Programs to enrich Jewish identity (discussions, text study, etc.)
- JSport: Co-ed Social Sports League for 20s + 30s
- Collaboration with other JCC Programs, such as 20s + 30s Fitness, Cooking, Yoga, Meditation, Arts, Film, etc.
- Curate and run Israel engagement programs
- Creates meaningful opportunities to engage people in this age cohort around Israel-through arts, education and conversation (Israel 2.0 series)
- Engages Birthright Israel alumni in JCC programs and events after their trip.
- Works in partnership with Taglit Birthright Israel to host participants for pre-trip orientations.
- Staffs and organizes JCC Birthright Israel trips
- Manages all related budgetary/ logistical components
- Maintain Birthright alumni database.
- Create immersive experiences for 20s + 30s, including trips, retreats, etc. Strengthen and expands Lay Leadership Board of 20s + 30s
- Develop relationships with people who have lay leadership potential
- Manage an ongoing group of 20s+30s leadership
- Coordinate and manage volunteers to plan events and assist in general program planning
- Work closely with the 20s + 30s Marketing Association and a team of part-time employees who run specific programs
- Create and monitor annual program budgets
- Make personal connections with a diverse constituent population by setting up one-on-one meetings, being attentive to the needs of constituents, and encouraging active involvement in JCC programs
- Maintain internal database of programs and constituents
- Continue and create partnerships with other institutions that have the potential to enhance existing programming.
- Interface with registration, finance department, and all other departments at the JCC.
Skills and Abilities Required
- The ideal candidate is a highly organized, creative individual with excellent interpersonal skills that will facilitate work with both constituents and colleagues.
- Candidate is both a self-starter and a good team player - willing and eager to experiment with new program ideas and work with constituents and colleagues to introduce new programs and events to the calendar
- Candidate is willing to 'roll up their sleeves' and participate in all tasks and duties associated with their various programs and events including: pre-program set up, post-program tidying, and ensuring the program runs smoothly from start to finish
- Knowledge of and connection to Jewish tradition, values and practice is essential for this position.
- Knowledge of and connection to Israel is also a plus. Interest in doing work to engage others around this is essential.
Education and Experience Required
- 3-5 years related work experience
- Bachelor's degree required
- Understanding of and identification with not-for-profit community center philosophy.
Employee hours are demanding as most events occur on evenings and weekends to accommodate the schedule of young professionals.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com
JOB TITLE: Director of the Selma and Lawrence Ruben Center for 20s + 30s
REPORTS TO: Director of Center for Jewish Living
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date: October 2021