Location and Job Title:
Director of Health & Wellness
Jewish Educational Alliance
5111 Abercorn Street
Savannah, GA 31405
Full Time Salaried Exempt position
Reports to: Executive Director
The Health & Wellness Director is primarily responsible for directing, overseeing and maintaining all aspects of the sports and fitness & wellness programs of the JEA.
- The Health & Wellness Director will serve as an integral part of the Sports and Fitness team, as well as working within the framework of the JEA programming as a whole;
- The Health & Wellness Director will be responsible for and is expected to maintain the highest standard of safety and cleanliness for the locker room and fitness facilities, hiring and training of staff and developing programs for all ages utilizing all areas of the departments including Group Fitness, Aquatics, Youth Sports, and special events;
- The Health & Wellness Director must be detail oriented and well organized, with the ability to plan activities and schedules several months in advance.This person must be flexible and able to handle multiple projects at the same time.It is understood that this position may require evening and weekend hours.This position requires independent judgment, initiative and advanced administrative skills;
- The Health & Wellness Director is expected to be innovative, imaginative and provide a positive role model for members and other staff.
Principle Responsibilities ( not limited to):
- Recruit, supervise, train and evaluate all class leaders, personal trainers, Aquatics and Youth Sports Supervisors and other part-time staff, as needed;
- Hold regularly scheduled staff meetings for fitness personnel to establish and monitor department goals;
- Provide back-up support and fill-in where needed in the absence of instructors or trainers;
- Manage payroll, documenting staff sick and vacation days;
- Provide on-the-job supervision;
- Continually evaluate programs, solicit feedback, review and analyze results;
- Purchase and maintain appropriate inventory of needed supplies for the department;
- Maintain statistical records of the department for use by the agency.
- Supervise and implement with Fitness staff, a daily cleaning schedule for the locker rooms, gyms, pools, and fitness areas;
- Work cooperatively with outside services to both service and repair equipment as needed.
- Participate in the development of and responsible for the administration of the departmental budgets. Monitor budget compliance with CFO and Exec Director;
- Oversee departmental billing and compensation.
- Serve as professional staff to the Health & Wellness Committee;
- Work with committee to develop and recommend policies, rules and fee structure;
- Develop and recruit new committee members.
Program Planning and Development
- Develop, implement, supervise and evaluate a comprehensive, creative and progressive schedule of classes and programs that meet the needs of all ages for the Fitness department;
- Conduct equipment orientations. Offer useful, tactful and safe advice regarding the use of equipment. Ensure that equipment is clean, properly maintained, and in safe working condition. Develop safe, professional and comprehensive personal training programs that are individualized to meet members' fitness needs. Work with members to develop fitness goals; monitor progress; provide encouragement and support;
- Develop, implement, supervise and coordinate youth programs including, but not limited to: fitness classes and sport specific development and leagues;
- Keep informed of various trends and programs in the community and nationally that may be introduced, adapted to and have effect on JEA programs;
- Work with other JEA departments to enhance activities and programs;
- Participate in staffing major JEA programs or events outside of the department when assigned
Public Relations Responsibilities
- Develop appropriate publicity materials and public relations approaches for the department;This includes, but is not limited to: flyers, mailings, press releases, Facebook, and a monthly column in the Savannah Jewish News;
- Communicate policies and programs to families and promote family participation in special programs and events;
- Facilitate a positive growth image of the JEA in the community
- Develop working relationships with area synagogues, Jewish/non-Jewish communal organizations and agencies, schools, community organizations and businesses related to the work of the JEA;
- Membership and participation in professional communal organizations;
- Participate and attend (where feasible) national professional conferences
- Demonstrated ability to train staff;
- Demonstrated ability to develop programming for all age groups;
- Demonstrated knowledge regarding the use of variable resistance, aquatic, and aerobic equipment and other exercise-related equipment;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and 3-5 years of supervisory experience
- BA/BS in Physical Education, Exercise, Fitness or related field;
- Special skills: Certifications in Personal training, aerobics (ACE, NSCA, ACSM)
- CPR, AED and First Aid certified;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to organize and execute work independently under deadlines; ability to work with grace and good humor under pressure. Ability to work cooperatively with other departments within the JEA.
Where can you find a preschool, health club, racquetball court, gym, and pool in the same facility? Where can your mother join in on senior programs with other older adults, and your son play in a basketball league with all of his buddies? What if you were able to drop your kids off at day camp, book a personal training session, and then meet your friends for a Zumba or Yoga class? All this and more happens every day at the JEA of Savannah.
Discover your community at the Jewish Educational Alliance. Since 1912, the JEA has been dedicated to ensuring a strong and vibrant Jewish life and community for generations to come. Our summer camp and wide array of enriching activities provide opportunities for you to discover your community through innovative programs designed to meet the needs of everyone from infants to adults. Regardless of your age, faith or background, you?re welcome here. So please, explore our website and stop by for a tour of the JEA. We look forward to serving you.
With over 250 locations across the Nation, we are lucky that there's a JCC right here in our community!