You are here: Home
| Search for a Job
Location and Job Title:
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
At Camp Twelve Trails we are dedicated to universally shared values central to Jewish life. Our proactive integration of these values into everything we do supports children of all backgrounds and helps them grow into better people. Our warm, welcoming culture fosters a vibrant camp community where we all look out for each other and take care of the world around us. Staff are central to carrying out this vision by crafting programs that are in line with our educational outcomes, beliefs, and providing positive, enthusiastic energy every day. We expect staff above all to deliver the wow!
General Counselors are responsible for the overall safety and supervision of campers, including their successful engagement in all aspects of the Camp Twelve Trails experience, including trips, programs, and aquatics.
DUTIES PRE CAMP
- Participate in pre-camp training.
DUTIES DURING CAMP
- Along with your co-counselor, supervise 12-15 campers during all camp activities.
- This includes campers with special needs that may be a part of your general group.
- Full participation in all camp activities, including swim twice a day.
- Lead and/or assist in small and large group activities either within your group or in the Neighborhoods
- Work with your co-counselor to provide the highest level of support and programming for your campers.
- Work with other counselors in your unit to help them provide support to their campers.
- Be familiar with and enforce the personnel policies, safety rules, and program of camp.
- Participate in all camp meetings, activities, and special programs.
- Keep records as required, including documenting all incidents and behavioral issues.
- Ensure the health, safety, and welfare of all campers in any area or programs at camp.
- Model appropriate behavior to campers including on the bus to and from camp.
- Use positive behavior-management techniques with campers.
- Perform any other program or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor.
- Staff lunch is provided by camp each day.
- Free summer fitness membership at our 3 JCC's
- Must be entering senior year of High School or equivalent
- Previous experience working with children
- Strong communication and problem solving skills.
- Ability to remain calm and maintain perspective under pressure.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing needs.
- Must be enthusiastic and demonstrate and desire to go the extra mile;
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Status: Seasonal, Mondays through Fridays, June 28 - August 18th, including 40-45 hours of staff training in June held on some Sundays and evenings. No camp on July 3rd or July 4th.
- Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm during the summer
- Compensation: $2400-$3700 for the summer.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Additional functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.