Location and Job Title:
Assistant Director of Special Services - BAY TERRACE CENTER LOCATION
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
Project Child After School Program
This after-school program at the Bay Terrace Center offers the opportunity for children with special needs to enjoy safe, supportive and successful after-school experiences with a 3:1 child to staff ratio. Each afternoon, children participate in educational, recreational and socialization experiences designed to enhance academic and social skills while boosting self-esteem. Daily schedule includes homework help, arts & crafts, yoga, cooking, science and gym time.
Commonpoint Queens is currently seeking an Assistant Director for our Project Child After School Program at our Bay Terrace location in Bayside. The Assistant Director will provide support to the Director of the After School site, assisting with the day-to-day management and operation of the program. Hours are Monday through Friday from 2pm-7pm.
- Assisting with day-to-day operation and administration of the afterschool program, summer respite program, and holiday programming; Providing support to program director, and leadership in the absence of program director for oversight of the program
- Assisting with staff development and program development.
- Supervising staff and participants; Reviewing staff performance, providing suggestions and coaching; Steps in for activity specialists and group leaders as needed
- Communicating with school administration, staff, and parents as needed
- Ensuring overall program safety and compliance with funding and regulatory agencies
- Attending weekly staff meetings; completion of professional development hours; Data input (i.e. registration forms, attendance records, Medicaid waiver sheets and activity sheets into an online database)
- Provide positive reinforcement or other behavioral intervention as needed
- Implents agency, OPWDD, and DOH safety guidelines
- Performs additional duties/projects as assigned
- High School Diploma required; Associates Degree preferred
- At least two years of experience working with children with special needs
- Prior experience supervising staff in a management role within an afterschool or camp setting
- Ability to handle multi-faceted tasks, effective communication, group management and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong work ethic and professional demeanor, with a team-oriented attitude.
- Organized, self-motivated, with excellent time management skills, and the ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure.
- Ability to motivate staff and participants.
- Computer savvy (database and attendance tracking, outreach and program scheduling), with excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.