Location and Job Title:
Director of Camp and Youth Programs
1160 Dickinson St
Springfield, MA 01108
The Director of Camp and Youth Programs is responsible for the administration and management of the Springfield JCC's Summer Camp operations, including camper and customer experience, marketing and registration, staff recruitment and development, program enhancement and implementation, and planning for improvements and growth. In addition to guiding the Springfield JCC Camp to the highest standards during the summer, the Director is also responsible for ensuring excellence and equity across our Youth and Family Program offerings year-round (e.g. leading with after-school programs such as CAP and KidSpace).
All employees of the Springfield JCC are responsible for creating relationships with the members, to add value to their membership, and to enhance their sense of belonging with the J community.
Camper and Customer Experience
- Live and love the campand after-school experience and share that with everyone.
- Lead with integrity and communicate frequently with all stakeholders.
- Establish unified goals for all youth programs, incorporating JCC mission, vision, core values and commitment to social justice.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of operations, communications, and systems.
- Actively train, engage and energize direct reports, colleagues, staff, alumni, partnering organizations, funders, families, and other stakeholders.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain high-performance full-time and part-time youth teams.
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program and measures of successthat can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Plan and execute a marketing strategy, in conjunction with JCC Marketing Director, print/digital advertising, and other relevant promotional materials.
Marketing and Registration
- Update registration forms, parent manual, and all parent packet materials, as needed.
- Coordinate enrollment efforts to ensure accurate and efficient registration process for families.
- Supervise program registrar/payment processor to ensure great customer service.
- Recruit, train, and supervise camp and youth staff, including Assistant Director, counselors, specialists, and support personnel for camp sessions, break camps and after-school programs.
- Implement on-boarding and training programs for counselors and specialists on multiple topics, including policies and procedures, strategies for working effectively with children, as well as general and Judaic programming.
- Provide ongoing performance feedback to staff and write final evaluations for staff positions.
- Ensure safety and security protocols are in place and practiced consistently.
- Develop and implement a strategy to ensure successful recruitment and retention of campers in a competitive market.
- Provide regular communication with parents to build strong relationships with families.
- Participate in available professional development opportunities.
- Manage the camp and youth database(s), in conjunction with JCC Administration, to ensure the organization of campers, staff, and families are accurate and up to date.
- Create a plan to steward relationships with youth participants and alumni.
Staff Recruitment and Development
Program Enhancement and Implementation
- Ensure development and implementation of innovative and meaningful programming for all areas of the youth experience, including sports, recreation, and the arts.
- Reflect the informal Jewish educational purpose of the JCC camp through the development of a variety of Jewish-themed activities and programs.
- As feasible, implement targeted off-season programming for youth, parents and families, which will encourage commitment to the JCC camping experience.
- Work collaboratively with our inclusion campers and counselors to ensure a great experience.
- Develop new specialty camp ideas and articulate vision for enhancing traditional camp.
- Establish relationships with other JCC and other Jewish camp and youth directors to share ideas, identify best practices and ensure the highest quality programming.
- Maintain records and reports on key performance indicators and activities and prepare end-of-program reports to present to JCC executive staff and board.
- Oversee all records, licenses and documents to meet city, county, state and federal regulations, to ensure that programs are adhering to health and safety protocols.
- Pursue American Camp Association (ACA) accreditation for summer camp.
Improvements and Growth
- You love camp!
- You love working with children and families!
- You embrace and model JCC's mission, vision, values and commitment to social justice.
- You seek feedback, coaching and support in your leadership and provide the same for your staff.
- You live to deliver a great experience for kiddos, counselors and the families we serve.
- You lead by example, stay organized and communicate effectively.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy multitasking.
- You believe in a growth mindset and work to help everyone in the program to be their best.
- If you are bringing a background in Jewish life and culture, that is a huge plus!
- BA or BS in Education, Jewish Communal Service, Recreation, or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in youth programs and/or camp leadership position
- Minimum of two years of successful experience in supervision and administration
- Experience in the field of education is a real asset
45,000 - 55,000
Who We Are:
The mission of the Springfield Jewish Community Center enriches community and nurtures wellness through physical, intellectual, social, and spiritual programs and services. The JCC is guided by Jewish values, welcoming and respecting people of all abilities, ages, backgrounds, identities, and faiths.
The Springfield JCC is both a recreational and learning facility. Located on the Longmeadow/Springfield line, the J is a non-profit organization offering programs for all ages, including preschool, youth and teen programs, adult life programs, senior adult life programs, and is home to the JCC Health & Fitness Center. Everyone, including the general public, is welcome at the Springfield JCC.
If you have not seen our facilities, we invite you to take a tour. Stop by or call (413) 739-4715.