Location and Job Title:
Day Camp Unit Heads, Counselors and Administrative Staff (Summer 2021)
300 Revere Drive
Northbrook, IL 60062
We're the secret sauce of summer for over 3,500 children throughout the Chicago area.Every Summer, the Apachi J Camps - each with its own special blend of camp - become the place where kids learn to spread their wings, test the waters, push their envelope, and find their bliss.
JCC Chicago is on the lookout for talented Camp Staff who are looking to develop career-building skills such as leadership, communication, problem-solving and relationship management abilities. If you are looking for a way to create exciting experiences and heartwarming memories that last a lifetime, gain valuable career-building skills and be able to spend your summer with 100 new best friends, JCC is the place for you!
- Unit Heads: College graduates who plan and develop activities for specific camper's groups; oversee counselors.
- Counselors: Creative, motivated and enthusiastic Senior Counselors (college-age) and Junior Counselors (high-school age, 16 and older) work with groups of 12-16 campers.
- Administrative Support Staff: support staff answer phones, provide heavy administrative support and outstanding customer service to parents and staff.
Mid-June through Mid-August; specific dates vary by camp location
Key Essential Job Duties:
- Lift/move children up to 45 lbs.
- Demonstrate physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day.
- Move from sitting (chair and floor) to standing position easily and quickly.
- Stand for long periods of time and be able to run and actively engage physically with children.
- Ability to assist getting children on and off the bus and or cars.
- Able to ride on bus for a field trip and or bus route.
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of children ages 3 - 12 years old.
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand.
- Actively participate with children during games including running & climbing.
- Be in a swimming pool up to one hour, observing and supervising children in the water.
- Move around with children at their pace and be actively involved with children rather than just watching them.
- Supervise children, keeping them in sight and sound at all times.
- Know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behaviors. Prevent, circumvent, and deal with problem behaviors appropriately and effectively.
- Maintain a sense of calm and perspective with physical and mental alertness during stressful times.
- Consistently demonstrate and reinforce the values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility.
- Ability to run up to 100 yards (in the case of a emergency).
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program.
Our GPS is set to J.
We are a collaborative, dynamic, forward-looking team whose passion has a purpose.
With Jewish values as our compass, we are moving JCC Chicago in new exciting directions that will strengthen our Jewish community, enrich generations, nurture friendships, respect traditions and bring out the best in very life we touch.
Led by our dynamic and forward-thinking Executive Team, JCC Chicago enriches lives and builds community through vibrant, meaningful experiences.We are a collaborative, dynamic, forward-looking team whose passion has a purpose.With Jewish values as our compass, we are moving JCC Chicago in new exciting directions that will strengthen our Jewish community, enrich generations, nurture friendships, respect traditions and bring out the best in every life we touch.
JCC Chicago is the largest JCC system in North America, with more than 800 staff in over 15 diverse locations across the metropolitan area.Our core program offerings include Early Childhood Education, Children and Family Engagement Programs, J at School, Sports & Recreation, Aquatics, Arts & Ideas, Day Camps and Overnight Camp.