Location and Job Title:
Division Unit Head
Kaplen JCC on the Palisades
411 E. Clinton Ave.
Tenafly, NJ 07670
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Jennifer Lenkowsky at Jlenkowsky@jccotp.org
- Attend monthly meetings from January - June with other leadership staff for trainings and brainstorming sessions. All meetings will be from 6-8pm and dinner will be provided
- Call all families within your respective unit (between 75-125 children) by June 1 to introduce yourself and learn a little more about each camper. A comprehensive list of families will be provided by April 15 and will be updated as new campers commit to the program.
- Train and supervise staff of 10-15 counselors as well as formulate relationships with 75- 100 campers
- Oversee activities and ensure campers are engaged and counselors are participating and creating memories
- Work closely with Campus Director to ensure days run smoothly, program changes are communicated, and counselors are provided with tools to be successful
- Be responsible for the welfare of each child in the unit and do all possible to solve problems
- Be knowledgeable about eating habits, diets, behavior, and health concerns of campers
- Communicate with parents prior to camp starting. All families must be contacted via phone.
- Correspond with unit families daily through newsletters, one-way texts or emails to inform about group activities, special events
- Correspond with unit families individually on a weekly basis through phone calls and/or emails.
- Help ensure morale of staff
- Monitor specialists while they are engaging your groups and to ensure curriculum is fun and engaging. Coordinate with Specialty Director regarding changes, concerns, etc.
- Monitor counselor and camper assignments for each day
- Secure coverage when a counselor is ill or their employment is terminated
- Plan and facilitate weekly staff meetings
- Evaluate unit staff and assist staff in setting objectives so that they can meet expectations
- Formally evaluate staff at least twice a season, conducting other evaluations as necessary
- Communicate with Director often regarding both positive and negative issues that may arise with campers and/or staff
- Assist those campers and staff who may need help fitting into the camp atmosphere
- Supervise arrival and dismissal of campers
- Assist in evaluating the entire Camp operation with suggestions for the following season via a written report
- Work with Associate Director to plan Unit focused special event.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience working with children
- Previous camp staff experience
- Desire and ability to work with children and adults in camp setting
- Ability and experience in supervising staff and campers
- Current CPR and first aid certifications
- Must be available to work June 26-August 18, 7:30 am- 5:00 pm as well as the following:
- Once a month January-March 2023; twice a month April-May 2023; Weekly in June 2023 (exact dates to be determined by December 15). All meetings willbe from 6-8pm and will include dinner to accommodate work schedules.
- Open House, Staff Orientation, Staff meetings, Interactive Nights and additional programs as needed prior to and during camp.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
It is the policy of this institution to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or status within any other protected group.
Kaplen JCC On The Palisades is a welcoming home away from home for all who pass through its front doors. Our 185,000 square foot building plus acres of outside grounds feature 2 fitness centers, an indoor and outdoor aquatics center, group exercise, spin and pilates studios, 2 gymnasiums, tennis and racquet courts, indoor track, a luxurious spa, multiple playgrounds and fields and so much more. The JCC is home to the renowned Thurnauer School of Music, Leonard and Syril Rubin Nursery School, Neil Klatskin Day Camp, and the JCC Dance and Drama Schools. The JCC is also proud to offer extensive, high quality programs and services to adults of all ages, as well as to seniors and individuals with special needs.
Our vision is to be the center point of Jewish life in our community and to engage all generations in our mission and values.
Deeply rooted in Jewish values and tradition, the Kaplen JCC on the Palisades is a vibrant home for the Jewish People that welcomes all and cultivates the social, intellectual, physical and spiritual well-being of the entire community.
We are committed to demonstrating the following values and ask respect for these values from those with whom we interact:
CONNECTION TO JUDAISM AND ISRAEL
TIKKUN OLAM (repairing the world)