Location and Job Title:
Harold and Elaine Shames JCC on the Hudson
371 S Broadway
Tarrytown, NY 10591
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Director of Aquatics, the swim instructor will lead group, private, and semi-private swim lessons to all ages and ability levels. Creates a fun, safe, and inviting learning environment to ensure a positive member experience in accordance with the JCC Aquatic Policy and JCC Aquatic Safety Standards & Guidelines. Builds strong relationships with participants and continually recommends classes based on skill levels.Arrives to all shifts 15 minutes prior to start of shift, in uniform, and prepared.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Instructs classes in accordance with JCC policies, including covering all class components and using proper teaching technique.
- Responsible for attending all scheduled classes within a session; when an absence is unavoidable, secure a substitute and provides lesson plans for that substitute.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the JCC such as class attendance and performance skills.
- Maintains constant watch on all class participants and ensures the highest level of safety during the class.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants, and other staff.
- Ensures the health and safety of all members and participants by knowing, understanding, and consistently enforcing safety rules, policies, procedures, and regulations for the pool and aquatic area.
- Teaches with enthusiasm and creativity
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with JCC policies and procedures.Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains all required certifications for position while employed.
- Exercise good judgment and communicate concerns to your supervisor.
- Keep pool area and equipment clean, neat, and organized.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by Senior Director of Aquatics.
- Promote Aquatic Programs.
- Attends and participates in all in-service trainings and staff meetings.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor
- ARC (or equivalent) CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- ARC (or equivalent) First Aid
- ARC (or equivalent) WSI
The Shames Jewish Community Center on the Hudson has grown to be the center of Jewish community life in the Westchester Rivertowns, providing educational, social, cultural, recreational, fitness and wellness programs for individuals of all ages, all faiths and all backgrounds. It is a warm and welcoming place to be.
The Shames JCC is a 75,000 square foot facility on a 6.6 acre campus . Our current membership of almost 1800 families from throughout Westchester County enjoy our state of the art fitness and aquatics centers, a full court gymnasium, a varied scheduled of adult and children's activities, and an early childhood program that is second to none. Focusing on its mission to keep our members Moving, Learning and Connecting, the Shames is the place where adults can take over 100 free exercise classes, attend a lecture, workshop or special event and make lasting relationships. Youngsters come to our Early Childhood Center for their first learning experience. They participate in our after-school program, day camps, and a full range of enrichment classes, including music, sports, and crafts. Our special needs program offers services and activities for all ages.
The JCC offers member and non-member programs and provides scholarship opportunities for those who cannot afford activity fees.