Location and Job Title:
Director of Culinary Job Training/Head Chef
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
Commonpoint Queens (Samuel Field YM&YWHA) Adult Workforce Department is comprised of employment and support programs serving individuals predominantly adults 18 and over and opportunity youth ages 16-24. The department provides access to occupational training, education, resources, and support programs for individuals who are motivated to enter the workforce.
We are seeking a qualified Director of Culinary Job Training/Head Chef with a strong commitment to youth and adult career development in the culinary arts to work in our Adult Workforce program. The Culinary Director will facilitate a 12 week culinary instruction program with ServSafe(r) Food Safety certification instruction and will manage the kosher catering social enterprise with the support of a Culinary Instructor. The Culinary Director will prepare the food requirements of the daily menu with concern for quality, appeal, presentation, cleanliness, safety, and cost in accordance with kosher law.
- Direct and oversee the operations and administrative functions of the culinary training program and catering social enterprise in support of overall program goals and objectives.
- Instruct adults with barriers to employment the basics of food and kitchen safety, food preparation, and making healthy choices and substitutions when cooking, according to the highlighted objectives of each lesson.
- Utilize a variety of instruction techniques to prepare students for above-entry level positions in the culinary field.
- Develop a kosher catering menu for the culinary training program and the social enterprise that will serve Commonpoint Queens programs. Choose recipes that demonstrate key nutrition, food budgeting, and food preparation lessons each week.
- Assign participants kitchen tasks that allow each individual to gain hands-on practice and improve their cooking skills.
- Maintain the kitchen in a clean, safe, and orderly fashion, while adhering to the policies and procedures of the NYS Department of Health, and the supervising mashgiach.
- Facilitate class discussions on each cooking or food safety message, allowing participants to brainstorm how they might put new behaviors into action, discuss barriers to adopting new behaviors, and share ideas with their peers for overcoming barriers.
- Manage program budget and expenditures to ensure that available funds and resources are used efficiently.
- Manage all food and vendor orders and donations.
- Lead the planning, development and implementation of strategic plan for the culinary training program and catering social enterprise. Monitor performance goals against plan, and set, identify and prioritize areas for improvement.
Commonpoint Queens is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- 8 plus years experience in large-scale food preparation and delivery, kitchen management and/or food services.
- 3 plus years experience managing food service workers including cooks, chefs, dishwashers and dieticians/nutritionists.
- Current valid food safety certifications such as ServSafe.
- Advanced Degree or Bachelor's Degree in food services, business management or related field preferred.
- Youth development experience preferred.
- Interest and comfort in working with low-income individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Knowledge of kosher laws required.
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.