Location and Job Title:
Preschool Head and Assistant Teachers
JCC of Stamford
1035 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
- The head teacher will develop and implement the preschool program along established curriculum guidelines, while providing a safe, nurturing, and positive classroom environment.
- The head teacher works with the assistant teacher collaboratively to achieve teaching and learning goals.
- Expectations of preschool teachers are to be kind, professional, helpful, self-starters, and creative. Head teachers will design plans to meet the individual needs of each child in order to reach his/her maximum potential. Preschool teachers need to adapt easily to changing situations and be the leader in the classroom.
- Plan activities in accordance with curriculum objectives, developmentally appropriate practice and program philosophy
- Create and maintain a positive physical and emotional educational environment
- Ensure children are supervised at all times
- Interact verbally and non-verbally with children during the day, at meal/snack times, and outside
- Create detailed lesson plans according to established curriculum and weekly calendars
Monday-Wednesday-Friday 8:30am - 12:30pm
Position is for the school year (10 months)
Specific responsibilities include:
- Communicate regularly with Director and school administrative team, including all concerns regarding a child's progress
- Participate in regular staff meetings
- Participate in school social, community and family education programs
- Monitor growth and development of each child and communicate progress and/or concerns with parents and Director
- Communicate regularly with parents
- Hold parent conferences as needed/requested
- Attend school wide and class events such as picnics, parties, parent meetings, and other special events
- Bachelor's degree in early childhood or related field from an accredited college or university
- One year of programmatic experience in the group education of preschool age children
- Strong communication skills: oral, reading, writing
- Ability to relate to young children and adults
- Working knowledge of the growth and development of young children and ability to utilize this information in the classroom
- Ability to act independently in the classroom setting
- Ability and willingness to work with a team
- Desire for continued development of teaching skills including collaboration with specialists
- Judaic knowledge or willingness to acquire
The Stamford Jewish Community Center is a cultural, educational and recreational center, offering exceptional programs, classes and special events designed to enrich the mind, body and spirit. While we are driven by the Jewish values of welcoming guests, kindness, respect, and communal responsibility, we warmly welcome people of all ages, faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds.