Location and Job Title:
Early Childhood Leaning Center Teacher
Merage JCC of Orange County
One Federation Way
Irvine, CA 92603
CUSTOMER SERVICE MISSION STATEMENT
To support create and actively promote a comfortable and welcome environment where every member (customer) is treated with dignity and respect, in a friendly, personalized manner.To anticipate and be responsive to member (customer) needs/ requests.
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION MISSION STATEMENT:
The Early Childhood Center at the Merage JCC operates a school which employs qualified, passionate, creative, individuals, who have knowledge of and a love for early childhood education. The ECLC is the premier early childhood school in Orange County, CA. We utilize an art-based, emergent curriculum, inspired by the schools of Reggio-Emilia, Italy, as well as by the theories and practices Piaget, Gardner, and Dewey. We embrace our Judaism through a cultural celebration of the richness of our traditions.We approach Judaism from a pluralistic perspective, as all are welcome in our school.Jewish values provide us with a foundation for exploring holidays, customs, and rituals, with the intention of creating a foundation for Jewish identity in both our students and families.It is the responsibility of our teachers to provide a rich experience.We believe that relationships are the basis for our community, and have a faculty comprised individuals who are passionate about the work of young children, the work of our community.
To provide exemplary education, provide for the health and safety of, and ensure optimal nurturing and growth for children and families enrolled in our early childhood school.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES for Early Childhood Employees:
- Provide for the health and safety of all children in the school.
- Provide tender, responsive, quality care, addressing children's social, emotional, cognitive and motor developmental needs.
- Create a positive, warm, individualized, nurturing environment for children that stimulates' inquiry and open ended thought.
- Consistently treat children, parents, colleagues and community members with dignity, respect and compassion.
- Create a safe, healthful and secure environment for all children, families and faculty members.
- Promote the equitable, fair and consistent treatment of all faculty members, parents, and children.
- Promote, administer, and improve the organization's goals, philosophies, policies and mission statements.
- Provide a safe environment for all children in the school by keeping them in sight and sound at all times.
- Participate in all training programs, conferences, seminars, courses and other aspects of professional growth and continuing education provided by the Merage JCC and other outside resources.Fifteen hours of continuing education is required annually for all faculty members.
- Each teacher will develop the understanding that children learn by interacting with others in an intriguing environment that contains open-ended activities and materials.Children will be enriched by a developmentally, individually, and culturally appropriate emergent curriculum that teachers will develop and provide daily.
- Provide an environment of acceptance in which children can grow with a positive self-concept.
- Foster and develop the teaching and leadership ability of your co-teacher, finding ways to make their jobs as rewarding and stimulating as possible.Hold weekly meetings with your co-teacher to reflect on and review the week's experiences and plan the next week's program.Make your expectations clear to your co-teacher, following through to see that expectations are met, and that you are utilizing your co-teacher's abilities and input.
- Analyze the cognitive, perceptual, spoken and non-verbal language, social, emotional, physical, and personal developmental needs of each child.Evaluate each child's progress on a regular basis with written photo, video, and other forms of documentation in children's portfolios.
- Along with the co-teacher, develop curriculum that is safe, promotes health, and advances the physical, emotional, social, cognitive, and Judaic growth of children.Provide varied opportunities targeting multiple learning styles for children's active participation, independent choices, experimentation and problem solving within the context of a structured setting and program.
- Establish and maintain a well-organized, safe, healthy environment for children.Check materials, equipment, and supplies to see that amounts are adequate and that they are in good repair.Take preventative measures against hazards to physical safety. Care for and maintain equipment within the school.
- Establish positive communication with parents in daily and formal parent conferences that facilitate the free flow of information about their child(ren).
- Check voice mail, e-mail, and mailbox daily.
- Required to attend mandatory professional development sessions. Professional development is held almost every month from 5:00 - 8:00pm, the five days prior to the beginning of the school year and one full day at the conclusion of the school year. There is the possibility of other days to be announced at the discretion of the ECE director or Leadership Team.
- Early Childhood Faculty Members are required to attend special ECLC and JCC programs.The special programs include, but are not limited to: Community (Kesher) Nights, Parent Conferences (evening and/or day), two JCC Community Events each year (Labor Day, Wines and Steins, Poker Tournament, Boxing Tournament, Israel Expo, Summer Camp Fairs, Golf Tournament, Celebration Ball, Memorial Day, etc).
- To create and actively promote a comfortable and welcome environment where every member (customer) is treated with dignity and respect, in a friendly, personalized manner.
- To anticipate and be responsive to member (customer) needs and requests.
- To keep abreast of current research and practices in early childhood education, and attend related trainings, workshops, and conferences.
- Use positive guidance, which encourages children and teachers to communicate more effectively.
- Complete accurate reports as directed (i.e. attendance, accidents/incidents, illness reports, medication administration, ID checks, etc.).
- Provide a safe environment for the children by keeping them in sight and sound at all times (cell phone calls, texting, instant messaging, use of social media (Facebook, twitter, etc) during supervision of the children are not allowed).
- Teachers are responsible for the cleaning of their classroom, including: sweeping floors, washing dishes, wipe counters, wipe the front of the cabinet doors, put things away, etc.The maintenance department does not have these responsibilities.If something needs immediate attention, please inform your supervisor.
- To perform other duties and assume additional responsibilities as required.
- Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Child Development, Psychology, or Sociology; or Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development and at least three years of teaching experience.
- Must maintain First Aid, CPR, Blood Borne Pathogens and TB certifications.
- Must be Licensing certified within 60 days of commencement of employment.
- Competent in various skill areas such as music, art, science, literacy, mathematics, language development and physical development.
- Competent in various skill areas such as planning, scheduling, record keeping, classroom environmental design and arrangement, classroom management, physical safety of children, and staff and parent communication.
- Speaking, hearing, and seeing are essential for maintaining a safe environment for children.Must be able to regularly lift between 30 to 40 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.Must also be able to regularly reach and bend.
- 12 credits of ECE or CD.
- 50 days of experience, each day must be three or more hours and all 50 days must be completed within a two year period.
- 15 hours of professional development every calendar year thereafter.
At no point may you fall out of compliance with the above certifications.
Employees who do not hold the above credentials may be asked to pursue extensive education in the field of education or a related field.
The Merage Jewish Community Center of Orange County is a 220,000 square-foot facility on 30 acres of land in beautiful Orange County, California where 300 children attend our Preschool .Orange County is home to some 100,000 Jews and sits between Los Angeles and San Diego and in between the Pacific Ocean and the San Bernardino Mountains.