Location and Job Title:
Camp Director - Early Childhood Director
Milton & Betty Katz JCC
501 N Jerome Ave
Margate City, NJ 08402
The Katz JCC is looking for an Early Childhood Director for their 11 classroom, multifaceted Infant-Kindergarten program as well as a Camp Director for Camp By The Sea - a seasonal, fast paced Day Camp with over 500 children. We seek a strong leader who is passionate about giving every family/child a positive start in their childcare/preschool/camp experience while developing creative and meaningful early learning experiences for children and life long memories.
Under the direct supervision of the CEO, the Early Childhood Director/Camp Director is responsible for the strategic direction and operational management of the preschool and camp programming.
The Early Childhood Director/Camp Director builds a community of educators, children, and families, and works collaboratively with our other Katz JCC departments and partner organizations. Our current Childcare/Preschool/Camp department population includes 130 children, and up to 500 children in our elementary school-age Camp By The Sea. This individual is a key member of the Katz JCC leadership team and advises staff and lay leaders on all matters of children's education, safety, family relations and relevant communication for the entire Katz JCC.
Vision, curriculum and philosophy: Ensure that both programs reflect the organization's commitment to excellence in the childcare/preschool/and day camp programming.
- Lead and drive the integration of successful educational philosophies into the curriculum with a focus on Creative Curriculum and the NAEYC guide to Developmentally Appropriate Practices
- Ensure that the needs of our early childhood and camp family community are represented in agency-wide strategic discussion, including the Katz JCC's mission and vision
The Katz JCC Early Childhood and Camp By The Sea programs are grounded in accessibility and diversity. We welcome children of all backgrounds and abilities.
- Embrace and support diversity and acceptance for children, families and staff.
- Integrate Jewish and universal values into the programs
- With a positive mindset and expertise in child development, coordinate teachers, parents, and appropriate diagnostic professionals to respond to specific student needs and behaviors
- Oversee the hiring and training of all staff related to early childhood programs, and ensure their regular supervision and annual evaluation
- Refine and execute a staff retention plan, including employee appreciation and recognition programs, as well as a professional development plan including personal days and outside opportunities and conferences
- Identify strategies for recruitment and leadership development to build a staffing pipeline and mentor the leaders of the future
Ensure that operations meet or exceed all relevant operational guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with the National Association for the Education of Young Children and the DHHS State of Maine licensing guidelines to ensure standards are met or exceeded, including preparation for site visits, renewals, working with facilities, and additional licensing of rooms, annual reports, emergency plans and training
- Ensure the parent and faculty handbooks are current, relevant, and consistent with Licensing and NAEYC Requirements and Organization policy
- Working with the CEO, actively engage with key lay leaders to identify strengths and opportunities for the future
The Early Childhood/Camp Director serves as the public representative of the school, builds a nurturing community of staff, parents and children, and leads partner relations with on-site schools and outside organizations to support each family's journey through the Katz JCC.
- Establish and nurture positive, open, ongoing communication with children and families
- Develop opportunities for parent and family education, advocacy for children's development and positive mental health, and multi-generational engagement
- Understand the crucial role JCCs play as a central touchstone for families who seek a diverse Jewish journey, choose to connect in a secular fashion, and may be seeking a gateway to further engagement
- Together with the preschool staff, plan and implement annual school events including but not limited to Welcome gatherings, Sukkot, Chanukah, Purim, Special Person's Day, Family Shabbats, etc.
Financial Sustainability and Planning:
- Closely monitor enrollment and staffing models
- Create business plans for sustainability and growth
- Work closely with Marketing and Fundraising/Development to develop year-round content to promote and sustain the programs, clearly communicate school and camp philosophy and culture, and contribute where appropriate to grant proposals to support growth
A positive, contributing member of the Milton and Betty Katz JCC Team Leadership Team:
- Build positive staff morale
- Support the mission of the Katz JCC
- Assist with agency-wide special events
- Maintain and enforce agency policies and procedures
- Provide excellent customer service
- Perform work after hours as needed to meet applicable deadlines, family events or scheduling needs
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum of 5 years of teaching experience, 3 years camp supervisor
- Minimum 3-5 years of managerial experience in a leadership/supervisory role in an early childhood program and camp program or related field
- Familiarity with values, principles and philosophies of NAEYC and the Creative Curriculum
- Familiarity with the ACA Guidelines and Day Camp curriculum and planning
- Ability to think outside the box to grow and develop early childhood and camp programs
- Demonstrate effectiveness in program administration, planning, and coordination
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate and interact effectively with parents, children and staff
- Strong managerial skills including the ability to foster camaraderie, cooperation, and teamwork
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and ability to master new software systems
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- First Aid/CPR certified
Preferred Skills Include:
- Additional certifications relating to children including but not limited to Special Education, Child development and psychology
- Knowledge of Jewish culture, traditions and practice or strong willingness to learn
- Strong social media skills
The person should be a positive role model. He/she should be enthusiastic about Judaism and the Jewish community. He/she should be interested and willing to increase their own knowledge of Judaism as well as enhance the Jewish education of the youth and adults with whom he/she works.
Expected Start Date: On or before May 1, 2021. Please note only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Salary plus benefits, commensurately with experience and qualifications. Benefits include paid time off and programmatic discounts, short-term and long-term disability and life insurance, as well as individual health insurance. Voluntary vision and dental are also available.
65,000 - 75,000
The majority of our
programming operates in the Milton and Betty Katz Jewish Community Center by
the beautiful Atlantic Ocean and its expansive beaches in Margate City, NJ.
We offer child centered, family-oriented programs for children 6 weeks to 5 years old. Educated and trained professionals bring deep commitment and a love of children to our classrooms. We foster a child's natural instincts and curiosity by providing a nurturing, comfortable, joyful, and developmentally appropriate environment. We also support the whole family, through programs and activities designed to build community and engagement for parents and caregivers.