Location and Job Title:
Harold and Elaine Shames JCC on the Hudson
371 S Broadway
Tarrytown, NY 10591
the direct supervision of the Senior Director of Aquatics, the lifeguard will
provide a positive atmosphere, display outstanding customer service, and will
professionally and courteously ensure the safety and enjoyment of all members,
program participants, and guests in the pool area, deck, and surrounding areas
based on the JCC Aquatic Safety Standards & Guidelines.
- Arrives to all shifts 15 minutes prior to start of shift, in uniform, and prepared.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and documents findings. Contacts Senior Director of Aquatics for out of range findings.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the JCC of pool usage, chemical levels, and pool closures.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool at all times; refrains from socializing while guarding.
- Remains alert and attentive at all times--Rescue Ready and remain on pool deck while on duty.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants, and other staff.
- Ensures the health and safety of all members and participants by knowing, understanding, and consistently enforcing safety rules, policies, procedures, and regulations for the pool and aquatic area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with JCC policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains all required certifications for position while employed.
- Exercise good judgment and communicate concerns to your supervisor.
- Practices proper rescues and emergency procedures regularly.
- Keep pool area and equipment clean, neat, and organized.
- Clears all swimmers from the water during an electrical storm or adverse weather conditions.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by Senior Director of Aquatics.
- Promotes Aquatic Programs.
- Secures the pool area by locking all doors when a lifeguard is not on duty.
- Attends and participates in all in-service trainings and staff meetings.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor
- ARC (or equivalent) CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- ARC (or equivalent) Lifeguard/ First Aid certification
The Shames Jewish Community Center on the Hudson has grown to be the center of Jewish community life in the Westchester Rivertowns, providing educational, social, cultural, recreational, fitness and wellness programs for individuals of all ages, all faiths and all backgrounds. It is a warm and welcoming place to be.
The Shames JCC is a 75,000 square foot facility on a 6.6 acre campus . Our current membership of almost 1800 families from throughout Westchester County enjoy our state of the art fitness and aquatics centers, a full court gymnasium, a varied scheduled of adult and children's activities, and an early childhood program that is second to none. Focusing on its mission to keep our members Moving, Learning and Connecting, the Shames is the place where adults can take over 100 free exercise classes, attend a lecture, workshop or special event and make lasting relationships. Youngsters come to our Early Childhood Center for their first learning experience. They participate in our after-school program, day camps, and a full range of enrichment classes, including music, sports, and crafts. Our special needs program offers services and activities for all ages.
The JCC offers member and non-member programs and provides scholarship opportunities for those who cannot afford activity fees.