Location and Job Title:
Leventhal-Sidman Jewish Community Center-Outdoor Pool Manager
JCC Greater Boston
333 Nahanton St
Newton, MA 02459
Are you someone who loves using your many talents to make an organization thrive like a well run sports team? Are you experienced at pool management and team leadership? Do you have a strong focus on safety, customer service and quality? JCC Greater Boston is seeking managers with these skills to create a welcoming, safe and fun summer for our Outdoor Pool members. The pool is a cheerful setting on a beautiful campus in Newton.
JCC Greater Boston welcomes staff from diverse backgrounds. Our organization is guided by Jewish culture and values (which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish). Kindness, service, and joy are examples of the values we live by. Our pool members also come from diverse backgrounds.
- Learns and oversees the processes, standards and requirements to operate the outside pool effectively and safely
- Ensures the safety of every pool patron through education, vigilant preventative guarding, first aid, emergency medical services, and rescue services.
- Monitor outdoor pool and solve problems when and if they arise.
- Ensure that all staff members are performing their duties to JCC expectations
- Creates a congenial, collaborative team dynamic
- Acts as a liaison between the pool members and the staff with an emphasis on customer service. Resolves logistical issues and member concerns in a professional manner or escalates them, as appropriate.
- Oversees weekly lifeguard swims and skill checks. Perform swim tests.
- Manages the facility including swim lane changes. Ensures cleanliness and neatness of pool area, grounds and bathrooms.
- Serves as a member of the agency Fitness Staff with responsibilities, which, at times, extend beyond the limits of his/her specialized functions
- Manages the pool and pump house. Specific responsibilities may include: chemical maintenance, draining/filling, backwashing and documentation.
- Manages lifeguards, desk attendants, cleaning staff, and other pool staff regarding shift changes, break rotations, and lunch breaks. Make shift changes, as required.
- Attends trainings and meetings, as requested
- Adheres to JCC protocols (e.g. walkie-talkie, safety equipment, appropriate dress)
- Other activities as required
- Current/valid American Red Cross Lifeguard certification, with CPR, AED and First Aid.
- Cheerful, "can do" approach
- Strong teamwork & relationship building skills, the ability to multitask, the ability to manage situations effectively and diplomatically
- Personal discipline and role modeling (e.g. high standards, punctuality, taking initiative)
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, Email, Google Docs
- Ability to mentor staff members, especially junior team members
- Desire and skills to maintain good working relationships with staff members, maintenance personnel, administrative personnel, and pool patrons
- Ability to proactively see what is needed and take action
- Attitude that
strives to meet JCC goals and objectives
In addition to a rewarding position where you care for a community, the JCC Greater Boston provides competitive benefits including:
- Complimentary summer access to the JCC Greater Boston facility in Newton - offering indoor swimming and workout facilities
- Competitive salary
- Outstanding working environment including free parking.
- Able to see, hear and cognitively recognize situations requiring lifeguarding services
- Capable of working in a high temperature and high humidity environment for extended periods while wearing required personal protective equipment
- Able to make safety related decisions and perform CPR and/or first aid, as required
- Read, write, understand and speak English
- Must maintain an appropriate level of fitness in order to competently perform all job related tasks including the ability to swim distances and dive to pool depths, as determined by testing/certification authorities, and to lift 150 pounds or heavier weights with assistance and/or the use of proper equipment
- Must be able to use a computer
JCC Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff and members very seriously. We have aligned all of our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC, DEEC (Department of Early Education and Care) and the local and state Departments of Public Health. Our practices include ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, and use of face coverings to promote the health of our staff and members. Currently, there is no evidence that COVID-19 can spread to people through recreational water.
Staff will be required to wear appropriate personal protective gear while onsite. Members and staff are expected to wear masks at all times, except when in the water or eating. Physical distancing will be adhered to throughout the day. Guests and staff will be encouraged to hand wash often and sanitizer will be readily available. Additionally, we conduct a health screen for all users and staff prior to entering the facility each day. This screening includes a questionnaire about symptoms and possible exposures as well as a temperature check.
JCC Greater Boston will also conduct remote interviews and virtual meetings ahead of the summer.
If you have the qualifications described above and seek to be part of a dynamic, collaborative and family-friendly team, please apply by sending your resume and a cover letter to Aquatics@jccgb.org . For more information or questions, please email HRoss@jccgb.org
The JCC Greater Boston values include: Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration and Transformation. The agency provides a variety of programs and services to children and adults in the Greater Boston Jewish community including: Early Learning Centers, summer camps, health and wellness programs, family engagement programs and cultural activities. The JCC is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background.