Location and Job Title:
Swim Lesson Instructor/Lifeguard
Jewish Community Center of Schenectady
2565 Balltown Rd.
Niskayuna, NY 12309
Under Supervision of Aquatics Management this aquatic personnel will ensure the safety of patrons of the aquatic facility by preventing and responding to emergencies. They will also teach swimmers how to swim and be safe around water. Using the American Red Cross Learn to Swim Program. They will motivate swimmers, and instruct swimmers to use proper techniques.
- Candidate must have the ability to enthusiastically lead swim lessons and have knowledge of age appropriate activities & games.
- Ability to work with the public, program participants and other employees in a pleasant, courteous manner as required by the position.
- Must be able to sufficiently observe unsafe conditions.
- Maintains a high level of professionalism
- Will be rescue ready (JCC swimsuit, uniform, whistle, & personal protective equipment)
- Demonstrate effective time management
- Remain vigilant and act quickly in making rescues and rendering aid.
- Enforce water safety standards (rules) and departmental regulations.
- Actively participate in all in-service training and drills
- Maintain a clean and safe work area, which may include monitoring pool chlorine levels.
- Assist supervisors as requested.
Candidate must have:
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard; First Aid, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer; Waterfront Certifications.
- A Water Safety Instructor Certification (WSI) or relevant instructor certificate
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness
- Have an understanding of EAP procedures
- 1-2 years of experience teaching swim lessons.
The Schenectady JCC has a long history of serving people. For more than 90 years, the JCC has inspired people to live healthier, more active lives, motivated individuals to pursue and expand their interests, and worked with youth to develop skills and build self-esteem. Regardless of your age, faith and background, you are welcome here. Find out more at www.schenectadyjcc.org