Location and Job Title:
Director of Youth Workforce Preparation and Employment Initiative, Full Time Temporary to August 1,
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
Department Overview: Commonpoint Queens (Samuel Field YM&YWHA) Adult Workforce Department consists of employment and support programs serving individuals predominantly adults 18 and over and opportunity youth ages 16-24. The department provides access to occupational training, education, resources, and support programs for individuals who are motivated to enter the workforce.
The position is contract-based and will be temporary until August 1, 2022 with a possibility of extension or other internal job opportunities.
The director will oversee a contract that focuses on providing job training, credentialing and placement in good-paying jobs to young workers who are out-of-school, unemployed and underemployed, and reside in zip codes impacted by high rates of gun violence. This initiative treats gun violence as a public health crisis and includes short-term solutions as well as long-term strategies that focus on community based intervention and prevention strategies to break the cycle of violence. A key component of prevention strategy is to provide access to and readiness for career opportunities for out-of-school young people.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Youth Workforce and Employment Initiative will:
- Work collaboratively with CWE (Consortium for Worker Education) in implementing the Young Adult Workforce Preparation and Employment Initiative.
- Collaborate with the opportunity youth and adult workforce division to focus on job readiness and job placement to 230 opportunity youth.
- Develop employer and community partnerships with local businesses that lead to employment opportunities, internship sites, and mentoring opportunities for participants.
- Establish employer partnerships in the allied health field, IT field, and hospitality field
- Provide collaborative supervision of employment coordinators and job developers to ensure goals are being met.
- Partner with CWE to create outreach and recruitment strategies, materials, including social media, PDF flyers, and website content.
- Develop and maintain database/inventory of employment, training, and internship opportunities, report to CWE on a weekly basis.
- Be accountable for significant job development, employer relationship building, and participant recruitment targets including 125 participants placed in jobs.
- Work with participants to identify skill and education gaps.
- Plan an initial set of activities to begin taking necessary actions towards improving their employability. This includes sequential and concurrent activities.
- Assess and make any needed no-cost referrals to internal services including: housing, legal and/or substance abuse issues, benefit programs, financial assistance, etc.
- Coordinate with program staff on recruitment, engagement, and retention of participants.
- Remain up to date on current labor market trends in workforce development.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree preferred
- A minimum of three years of employment within workforce programs
- Experience working in workforce development and with the opportunity youth population.
- Outcome driven with ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities.
- Demonstrated experience in working with government contracts
- Experience conducting research, compiling information and organization for program development
- Demonstrate cultural competency through familiarity in working with people from a very diverse number of backgrounds.
55,000 - 65,000
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.