Location and Job Title:
Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver
950 West 41st Ave
Vancouver, BC V5Z 2N7
Oversee and manage the daily operations of the Fitness Department including customer service, program planning and implementation, budget development and management, revenue generation, expansion of offerings and departmental staffing. Developing, implementing and supervising comprehensive health and fitness programs geared towards teens and adults of all ages and abilities.
Program planning and implementation:
- Increase member growth through member engagement programs
- Increase revenue through registered programs and personal training services.
- Manage, create and market "member included" programs and revenue generating programs such as the personal training department and registered programs such as, Pilates, Spinning, rehabilitation programs, and sport-specific programs
- Follow fitness trends to create and manage new revenue generating programs.
- Offer internal and external instructor training programs for revenue, facility awareness and growth of our staffing.
- Maintain and develop the Happy Heart Program.
- Maintain positive customer relations and member satisfaction.
- Evaluate, develop and enhance programs.
- Administer member satisfaction surveys.
- Coordinate/oversee the special events such health talks for members and instructor training workshops for fitness professionals and staff, Terry Fox Run and member fitness challenges.
- Lead fitness classes as required and sub classes where necessary.
- Maintain high quality staff and programs.
- Ensure safety in all areas of the fitness facility including the fitness studios.
- Provide regular inspection of equipment and take all necessary action to correct unsafe or unsightly conditions.
- Manage class equipment needs and studio maintenance.
- Manage the equipment maintenance contract and purchase new and replacement equipment as needed.
- Create procedures and policies as needed for safety and operational efficiency.
- Prepare Fitness Department payroll and instructor/contractor invoice submissions.
- Create, update and manage fitness class schedules.
- Communicate regularly with Member and Guest Services and Accounting departments and other departmental staff as needed.
- Ensure web pages are updated as needed.
- Communicate regularly with members via newsletters, emails, signage, phone calls, etc.
- The Fitness Director manages the Assistant Fitness Director (responsible for personal training team and fitness centre staff) and the group fitness and program instructors.
- Oversees the department's marketing initiatives for Fitness programs
including but not limited to, personal training, registered programs,
member classes, and member health talks through the use of promotional
material such as, department newsletters, program guide, posters, social
media, word of mouth etc.
- Recruits, hires, trains, evaluates and terminates as needed.
- Ensure all Fitness staff members are fully educated as to the JCC emergency procedures and staff credentials and certifications are up to date.
- Administer and oversee payroll for all staff of the department.
- Ensure all Fitness staff members are fully educated as to the JCC emergency procedures.
- Mentor, provide leadership, onboard and train staff.
- Conduct weekly meetings and monthly goal setting.
- Ensure targets are met and create departmental policies and procedures with staff.
Budget development and management:
- Create and monitor yearly budget ensuring revenues are met and expenses are within budget
Specific staff duties and responsibilities may change from time to time depending upon the needs of our consumers and the JCC. The scope of responsibilities as Fitness Director necessitates the flexibility of working evenings, weekends and extended hours when appropriate.
Be familiar with other departments and programs to enhance our ability to provide excellence in customer service.
Be familiar with emergency procedures.
- Degree in Human Kinetics, Kinesiology or Fitness or related field required.
- Registration/Certification as a Group Fitness/Yoga/Pilates Instructor and Personal Trainer required.
- 5+ years instructor/trainer experience required.
- 3-5 years in a supervisory role required.
- High level of computer competency - including Google Workspace, Microsoft Office and comfort with web based platforms (Canva, MailChimp).
- Current First Aid and CPR.
- Designation as a Trainer of Trainers or Supervisor of Fitness Leaders an asset.
- Registration/Certification/Experience with Older Adults/ Seniors an asset.
- Marketing experience and familiarity with SM platforms: Facebook, IG) an asset.
- 3-5 years direct Customer Service experience is an asset.
55,000 - 65,000
The Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver is a recreational, cultural and social organization serving the community around Oak Street and 41st Avenue.