Location and Job Title:
Child and Family Therapy Postdoctoral Fellowship
Jewish Community Center of Austin
7300 Hart Ln
Austin, TX 78731
Summary/objective: The JFS Child and Family Postdoctoral Fellow will provide counseling and therapy services to JFS clients through individual, family, and group interventions. Our clinicians deliver client-centered social services, education, and professional services in a collaborative community setting. We provide extraordinary counseling services while also linking clients to integrated services and community resources that empower and address their individual needs through sustainable interventions. Our office staff handles the billing and insurance allowing our clinicians to focus on the needs of the clients. We utilize electronic health records, simplifying the process of documenting services. While this is a one-year position, we are excited about adding a postdoctoral fellow to our clinical staff and we hope that you will consider a career with Shalom Austin as our office is rapidly expanding to meet the needs of our growing community. We will discuss your interest in remaining with us for a longer period when we meet you.
- Counseling: Perform on-site and/or remote telehealth clinical counseling services to Jewish Family Service clients, in accordance with agency policies. Service demographics include children, teens, and their families. Interventions may include individual and group therapy and crisis intervention.
- General Direct Service: Provides additional social services to clients as needed, such as advocacy, service linkage, referrals, and collaboration with schools and other providers. Maintains knowledge of current resources in the Greater Austin area.
- Collaboration: Partners closely with fellow clinical staff and all Shalom Austin staff to serve the needs of clients and community. Attends mandatory staff meetings, trainings, biweekly clinical supervision and offers coverage when needed.
- Documentation and Record Keeping: Maintains professional and timely documentation of services in electronic medical record including, but not limited to intake notes, progress notes, treatment plans, termination notes, contract notes, and other forms or documents which may be needed or required from time-to-time. Tracks and uses program-related data to enhance service effectiveness.
- Community Outreach and Education: Collaborate with other institutions and professionals in the Jewish community, and in the Austin mental health and social services network. Engages in ongoing outreach and community engagement through implementation of psychoeducation, parent education through community events, collaboration, and networking.
Position details: Position ideal for new/recent graduates. For provisionally licensed psychologists, this position provides supervision hours as required for licensure as a psychologist in the state of Texas.
Competency: Comfort and experience with clinical interviewing and therapeutic counseling, for clients in-person and online. Working knowledge of Greater Austin mental health and social service resources and referrals. Adheres to legal and ethical standards of care, including scope of practice, client privacy and record-keeping, HIPAA, and cultural competency.
Work environment: Perform in-office and/or remote telehealth social services, in accordance with agency policies. For those working remotely, a private space is necessary to maintain client confidentiality.
Physical demands: Must be able to meet routine office physical demands including climbing stairs, carrying up to 20-pound objects and possessing the dexterity and vision to operate office computers and equipment.
Position type and expected hours of work: Full-time, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, attend occasional organization events and programs occuring on evenings and weekends, as requested. No overtime offered.
Travel: Some travel to the office or JCC campus may be necessary, if working remotely
Required education and experience:
- Doctorate degree from APA-accredited program in school, clinical, or counseling psychology.
- Licensed or license eligible as a Provisionally Licensed Psychologist in Texas. Comfortable working with young children and clients from a variety of social and economic backgrounds.
- Experience counseling children and teens, couples, and families with a variety of mental health needs
- Excellent time management and written and verbal communication skills.
Additional eligibility qualifications:
- Comfort working both independently and with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Comfort and competency in coaching and counseling virtually
- Cultural competence with Judaism or Jewish culture is preferred.
- Remarkable professional references.
35,000 - 45,000
- We are Shalom Austin, the hub of Jewish life in Central Texas.
- We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization comprised of the Jewish Community Center (JCC), Jewish Federation, Jewish Family Service (JFS), and the Jewish Foundation.
- The majority of our programming operates on 40+ beautiful acres on the Dell Jewish Community Campus in the live music capital of the world - "weird" Austin, Texas.
- We are a passionate group of more than 200 staff working on our mission of enhancing the quality of Jewish life in the greater Austin area and around the world through philanthropy, education, social service, culture, spirituality, and total wellness.
- The Mission of Jewish Family Service: JFS strengthens the community by empowering all individuals and families through affordable and culturally sensitive social services to maintain wellness and dignity across the lifespan.
- You care about UNITY. You recognize the importance of one team that leverages resources, talents and expertise to achieve a common purpose.
- You care about EXCELLENCE. You are committed to continual improvement and you consistently set new standards for success.
- You care about RESPECT. You nurture your workplace through honesty, sincerity, and responsibility.
- You care about CREATIVITY. You approach both opportunities and obstacles with a spirit of flexibility, thinking critically to achieve innovative solutions.
- You care about INITIATIVE. You are a self-starter, driven to exceed expectations and claim a sense of ownership as you pursue your goals.
- You care about KNOWLEDGE. You engage in continuous learning and actively seek opportunities that provide professional enrichment and personal fulfillment.