Location and Job Title:
760 Northfield Ave
West Orange, NJ 07052
Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with JCC policies and procedures.
- Be identifiable with red Lifeguard shirt, whistle, swimsuit and has the rescue tube with them. The Rescue tube must be properly worn, with the strap on the shoulder and holding it in front of the body.
- Actively apply and enforce all pool rules and proactively address members to maintain a safe environment.
- Knows, understands, and consistently apply safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Maintain constant surveillance of the pool area. This includes standing at the edge of the pool or using the elevated lifeguard chair, actively looking at the water and swimmers, staying alert and scanning from one end of the pool to the other by moving their head side to side every 10 seconds.
- Must sit in an alert position and does not lean or recline in a resting position while on duty.
- Minimize all distractions that may interfere with effective scanning, such as not engaging in extended conversations with other staff or members.
- Must be skilled in observing the behavior of swimmers in the water and be ready at all times to stop dangerous behavior.
- Move to another area when multiple lifeguards are on duty to ensure appropriate zone coverage of the pool.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations immediately in accordance with emergency action plan and provide first aid care when needed.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Perform equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving and throughout shift.
- Attend all staff meetings and training as required.
- OTHER DUTIES/EXPECTATIONS:
- Be 5-10 minutes early to every shift and record time worked correctly with limited
- Must find coverage if unable to attend a shift. Contact must be made ahead of time if a scheduled shift cannot be worked.
- Flexibility, may be asked to substitute for other employee's shift or work beyond assigned shift in an effort to ensure safety and proper coverage.
- Mandatory attendance for in-services and rescue drills. In-Service meeting will be scheduled in advance. Rescue drills may or may not be scheduled without prior notice.
- Responsible for cleaning pool area, including potentially fecal matter or vomit.
- Assist Center management with any task related to the Center.
- Certifications: Current American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid
- certification as required by the NJ State Bathing Code.
- Red Cross CPR/AED.
- Oxygen Administration certification from American Red Cross preferred.
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness. Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with JCC standards.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
Welcome to Your JCC!
JCC MetroWest has been at the center of our community for 142 years, bringing people together while providing educational, social, cultural and fitness programs.
Our main facility, the Leon & Toby Cooperman JCC, located in West Orange, NJ, and our 20-acre day-camp, Camp Deeny Riback, located in Flanders, NJ serve the Jewish communities west of NYC, including Essex, Morris, and Union counties.