Location and Job Title:
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
General Counselors are responsible for the overall safety and supervision of campers, including their successful engagement in all aspects of the Camp Twelve Trails experience, including trips, programs, and aquatics.
- Participate, partake in, and lead pre-camp training.
DUTIES DURING CAMP
- Along with your co-counselor, supervise 12-15 campers during all camp activities. This includes campers with special needs that may be a part of your general group.
- Full participation in all camp activities, including swim twice a day.
- Lead and/or assist in small and large group activities either within your group or in the Neighborhoods
- Work with your co-counselor to provide the highest level of support and programming for your campers.
- Work with other counselors in your unit to help them provide support to their campers.
- Be familiar with and enforce the personnel policies, safety rules, and program of camp.
- Participate in all camp meetings, activities and special programs.
- Keep records as required, including documenting all incidents and behavioral issue.
- Ensure for the health, safety, and welfare of all campers in any area or programs at camp.
- Provide updates to Unit Heads/Camp Director for parent newsletter.
- Model appropriate behavior to campers including on the bus to and from camp.
- Use positive behavior-management techniques with campers.
- Perform any other program or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor.
Status: Full-time Seasonal, Mondays through Fridays, June 29 - August 21st, including 40-45 hours of staff training in May and June
Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm during the summer
- Must be entering senior year of High school or equivalent;
- Previous experience working with children;
- Strong communication and problem solving skills.
- Ability to remain calm and maintain perspective under pressure.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing needs.
- Much be energetic, enthusiastic and demonstrate and desire to go the extra mile;
Camp Twelve Trails combines the best of the popular day camps of the Shames JCC on the Hudson, The Riverdale YM-YWHA, and YM&YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood. Our mission is to provide children the finest summer experience, with innovative programming and personalized supervision, in state-of-the-art facilities at the Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds.