Location and Job Title:
Wellness and Fitness Manager- Full Time
3960 Montclair Rd
Birmingham, AL 35213
General Position Summary
The Levite Jewish Community Center (LJCC) seeks a dynamic, full time, Wellness and Fitness Director who thrives on offering outstanding programs and services to our members and their guests. This position will represent the department as a whole, and provide on-site leadership for the fitness and group exercise staff. While promoting diversity and acceptance, he or she will create a warm welcoming environment for members while ensuring they receive the highest quality of service. The Wellness and Fitness Director will be responsible for managing all business operations related to the LJCC including goals, budgeting, facility and equipment maintenance and staffing. They will actively promote membership and drive revenue through assisting members with introductory training sessions, and recommending personal training and group exercise activities. The WFD is the leader for all group exercise activities including by not limited to class schedules, instructor schedules and training.
- Manage day-to-day operations and staffing of group fitness instructors, fitness floor staff and personal trainers.
- Maintain optimal program planning and staff coverage within budget.
- Provide effective supervisory-level response to members complaints and issues with undisputed levels of superior customer service
- Ensure equipment and class spaces are maintained to safety standards. Maintain and monitor room cleanliness. Oversee equipment repairs and maintenance.
- Recruits, interviews, and hires talented staff and develops the instructor group exercise team and personal training team. Must have connections the fitness community to recruit instructors and trainers.
- Distribute, supply and maintain group exercise schedule.
- Communicates programming to all instructors. The ability and knowledge to guide an instructor through the certification process, class and launch promotion. (Social media, flyers and interact with members)
- Ensure all classes are covered and facilitate sub procedures.
- Illustrate an ability to make decisions.
- Teaches actively on the group exercise schedule.
- Evaluates class participation in all formats and reports data to executive director. Conduct yearly evaluations for instructors.
- Facilitate the implementation of new programming.
- Actively promote LJCC fitness service to members and the general community.
- Group fitness (Les Mills) and personal training certifications required.
- Provide assistance and support in managing day-today department activities. This includes staff scheduling, providing back up to trainers, instructors and fitness staff. Required to work on the fitness floor daily.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Membership Director in developing and planning fitness programs and promote fitness services to members.
- Provide administrative functions including, but not limited to: timecard record keeping for a staff of 20 plus, tracking and analyzing data using spreadsheets, preparing purchase orders and ordering equipment and supplies.
- Minimum of four years of demonstrated success with positive, proactive supervision in a gym or fitness setting.
- Demonstrated success facilitating and implementing a variety of group exercise and group training programs.
- Demonstrated success with fitness related revenue generation.
- Personnel management and supervision experience required.
- Strong communication shills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work successfully in highly flexible and rapid changing work environment as well as work some nights, weekends and holidays. Must work specifically designated hours in the LJCC that does not include teaching classes. Must attend, participate and coordinate launches.
- Have working knowledge of all fitness and exercise equipment.
- Work well collaboratively in a team environment.
- Proficient computer skills to include MS office Suite and other business software applications.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in health education, health science, exercise science, sports management, athletic training or health and wellness, recreation or related field preferred.
- Group exercise certifications required from a national recognized organization. Les Mills preferred.
- National personal training certificate from an accredited organization is required, preferably from ACE, ACSM, NAM or AFFA.
- First and CPR certification.
Skills and Abilities:
- Professional and friendly attitude is essential
- Commitment to always providing customer service to members, guests and co-workers
- Must be reliable and dependable in regards to attendance
- Must respect and maintain confidentiality of members and information
- Must be able to work additional shifts on an as needed basis
35,000 - 45,000
LJCC Identity Statement
Through the lens of Jewish identity and values, the Levite Jewish Community Center provides a welcoming, family-oriented gathering place for a diverse membership to engage in a meaningful experience of the mind, body and soul.
LJCC Vision Statement
The Levite Jewish Community Center will be recognized as a model for member-centered, high quality Jewish programming, education and recreation. We will be known for superior facilities and visionary leadership through financial sustainability and community outreach.
LJCC Core Values
- We cultivate memorable life experiences and meaningful relationships
- We pursue collaboration within the Jewish and broader communities
- We empower individuals to learn and understand Jewish values
- We provide a welcoming and open environment
- We embrace and celebrate diversity
- We encourage wellness of the mind, body and soul
- We connect our community to the people of the State of Israel