Location and Job Title:
Mental Health Professional
21 Plymouth St
Fairfield, NJ 07004
- Address children's emotional needs in collaboration with their counselors and age group supervisors.
- Support counselors in dealing with camper issues such as social challenges, mood, behaviors and/or campers' adjustment to the camp environment.
- Support the success of the camp's mission by training staff in areas such as behavior management, social skills training, conflict resolution, camper motivation, and self-image enhancement.
- Provide socialization training to campers for improved peer relationships
- Develop and implement behavior management interventions
- Consult with staff regarding issues of camper management
- Provide support to staff during crisis
- Evaluate camp programs to ensure social and emotional needs of campers are being met. Facilitate bunk meetings for support and group discussion focusing on social skills, problem solving, and group living dynamics.
- Participate in pre-camp planning and training of staff, including consulting with the director about the needs of potential campers.
- Complete intakes and coordinate with campers' home mental health professionals and other providers as necessary.
- Provide general camper supervision as needed.
- Support camp administration as needed, including pre-camp key staff meetings to review and plan for the upcoming camp season.
- Supervise the Camper Care Specialist when applicable
- Help develop and supervise Teen Village internship program
- Complete additional tasks as requested by the Camp Director.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
1. Concentration in social work, psychology, counseling or a related field
2. Experience working with children affected by social, emotional, behavioral and/or academic difficulties
3. Familiarity with medications used in the management of social and emotional challenges.
4. Ability to provide campers with socialization techniques and to train general staff to teach these skills
5. Ability to provide support for general adjustment and/or issues such as homesickness.
6. Knowledge of behavior management techniques and the ability to train staff in their application.
7. Ability to work with children to enhance self-esteem, build resilience and develop confidence and the ability to train staff in these techniques.
8. Excellent listening and communication skills
9. Empathy, patience, strong work ethic
Must be able to live on Milford, PA campsite for duration of the summer.
NJY Camps is a leader in the overnight summer camp space. Located in the beautiful Pocono Mountains, the camps are turning 100 years old in the summer of 2021. With a variety of offerings based primarily on age, NJY Camps is "home away from home" to thousands of campers and staff around the world. J