Location and Job Title:
Martin Pear JCC in the Valley of the Sun
12701 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Fitness Director, Personal Trainers are responsible for managing and maintaining the fitness floor, being responsive to members by offering assistance and educating them on the safe and correct use of cardiovascular and weight training equipment. Additionally, Personal Trainers perform consultations, orientations/assessments, sells personal training packages, conducts one-on-one and group personal training sessions and answers fitness related questions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform member fitness center orientations based on JCC's protocol, evaluate health history, conduct assessments, demonstrate equipment usage and develop a safe, effective workout plan.
- Maintain a current schedule in Mind Body. This includes scheduling all appointments, checking in all appointments and ensuring that all clients are paid and current.
- Encourage new members to participate in other JCC program offerings: small group training classes, private Pilates sessions, group fitness classes, and adult/youth recreation programs. Keep up-to-date on current JCC program offerings.
- Promote the JCC personal training program during fitness center orientations, fitness floor shifts and contacting interested members within 24 hours of receiving a lead.
- Maintain a client base by selling new packages, and encouraging current clients to continue.
- Assist in development and implementation of new programs and classes.
- Develop safe and effective exercise programs utilizing progression; programs are consistent with member's goals/needs and within the scope of your education and knowledge you currently possess.
- Maintain up-to-date client records in Mind Body and be responsible for tracking pending client appointments and payments in Mind Body.
- When personal training during your scheduled fitness floor shift, you are only allowed to train clients in the Fitness Center and may only train for half of your scheduled shift.
- Attend all mandatory Personal Trainer meetings, training and development.
- All personal training clients are JCC members. Our goal is to provide the client with excellent customer service and keep them happy. If at any time there is a conflict that will not allow you to continue to train the member - every effort should be made to place the member with another trainer with the assistance of the Fitness Director.
- While on shift, it is required to follow the Daily Action Plan and complete all items on the checklist.
- Responsible for being punctual and finding shift coverage when needed. A JCC staff shirt and nametag must be worn during personal training sessions, fitness floor shifts and fitness center orientations.
- Represent the Fitness Center in a positive & professional manner at all times. Introduce yourself, greet members by first name, smile, engage in conversation, answer questions and book appointments.
- Circulate fitness floor at least once every 15-20 minutes and assist members in safe and effective exercise form.
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized fitness floor by re-racking weights, picking up towels or trash, refilling the wipe containers & noting any needs of equipment repair. Report equipment issues to the Fitness Director.
- Enforce all Fitness Center, Cardio Deck & Indoor Track policies.
- Minimum shift hour's requirement based on weekly personal training clientele base.
- Cell phone use is prohibited in the Fitness Center, Cardio Deck, behind the Personal Trainer desk, in the hallways directly adjacent to the Fitness Center/Cardio Deck & during personal training. This applies for phone calls, texting, and e-mailing.
- Computer use is for JCC business only; no personal use is allowed such as social media websites, Internet searches, etc.
Current nationally accredited training certification (ACSM, NASM, NSCA, ACE)
Current CPR/AED certification
*must have upon hiring
5 years experience in the health and fitness industry
A degree in a fitness related field preferred
45,000 - 55,000
For more than 70 years, the Valley of the Sun Jewish Community Center promoted personal, cultural, social and physical development to members of the Jewish and the overall Scottsdale/Phoenix community. In December 2019, the Valley of the Sun JCC was named the Martin Pear JCC after former Executive Director, Martin Pear.
Opening in 1945, and at its current location on the Ina Levine Jewish Community Campus since 2002, the Martin Pear JCC remains dedicated to the well-being of people of all ages and faiths, and strives to maintain the highest standards for facilities and programming through classes, services, and events that meet the needs of the greater community. As we like to say 'You belong here.'