Location and Job Title:
Lead Teacher, Bender ECC
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
Position Summary: Preschool Lead Teacher in classroom for the 2018-2019 academic year.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Meeting all Bender JCC and Maryland State Department of Education licensing requirements.
- Supervising, directing and mentoring the associate and assistant teachers in the performance of their duties, giving oral and written feedback on a consistent basis, and informing the Director when performance issues arise.
- Accepting the supervision, direction and mentoring of the preschool leadership.
- Keeping required attendance records and reports on the children in your class.
- Coordinating daily plans with classroom staff..
- Creating an educational experience for the students and their families in line with the school philosophy.
- Incorporating the use of Jewish content in the curriculum.
- Working with the student, parents, administration, and any outside providers as needed to support the learning and growth of the child in the class. This may require meetings outside of class time.
- Communicating with parents on a regular basis through a daily newsletter/blog and as needed through emails, conferences and phone calls.
- Keeping progress records on each child to be shared at Parent-Teacher Conferences at two scheduled times during the school year.
- Participating in school set-up prior to the first day and school clean up at the end of the year.
- Attending to the personal hygiene of students, as needed, including but not limited to changing soiled clothes and diapers.
- Leaving only when the children are with an authorized adult.
- Taking part in the daily clean-up of the classroom, which includes but is not limited to, putting all toys and equipment away, making sure all food items are wrapped and put away in accordance to licensing and wiping down the tables and chairs. In addition, the refrigerator and freezer is to be checked weekly to remove old or unwanted items.
- Taking responsibility for keeping all public areas neat and clean.
- Attending all staff meetings and conferences and participating in meetings during school and after school hours.
- Attendance at the ECC Meet and Greet, Back to School Night and other school events beyond school hours as determined by the ECC Director. In addition, you must participate in at least one Center-wide program, such as Chanukah, Purim or Good Deeds Day.
- Completing and submitting all necessary employment and licensing paperwork within the established time frames.
- Leaving the school during the work day without prior permission of the ECC Director; solicitation of gratuities; striking or verbally abusing a child; sexual misconduct; possession, use or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol; or other misconduct while at work or during work-related responsibilities are unacceptable, and are just causes for disciplinary actions, up to and including termination..
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Physical ability to insure the safety and care of the children including, but not limited to, lifting, carrying and chasing children.
- Ability to stand in adult and wading pool to supervise swimming if on staff during the summer months.
- Meet the physical requirements of the job as outlined in the Bender JCC Preschool Staff Handbook.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Strong written and spoken language skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of best practice in Early Childhood education and a commitment to continued education.
- Openness to feedback from colleagues and administrators.
Educational Degree(s), Professional Degree(s), or Certificate(s) Required:
- First Aid and CPR training and certification.
- 4 year College Degree in Early Childhood Education or
- 4 year College Degree with 90-hour certificate in early childhood curriculum & development* and 1 year experience working with preschool children in an approved center or equivalent work experience.
* If you do not have the 90-hour certificate in early childhood curriculum & development or the equivalent college courses, you must begin the class during your first 6 months of employment and complete it with a passing grade within the first year of employment.
- Knowledge of, and respect for, the mission of the Bender JCC.
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Bender JCC, including its Personnel Handbook, and to abide by them
- Work in a team environment.
- Communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing
- Observe and enforce the Bender JCC's kashrut policy.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assig
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.