Location and Job Title:
Summer Youth Employment Program Coordinator - Older Youth (16-21 y/o)
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
The NYC Summer Youth Employment Program for Older Youth (SYEP-OY) is the nation's largest youth employment program, connecting New York City youth between the ages of 16-21 with career exploration opportunities and paid work experience each summer. The Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is important for low-income youth who may face multiple barriers to obtaining early work experiences. Youth benefit from workforce development programs that offer hands-on exposure paid internships and work experience, access to job skills training, and opportunities to develop social, civic, and leadership skills. Moreover, developmentally appropriate, robust work experiences can help promote a college-bound culture and build useful transferable competencies such as leadership, teamwork, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication.
The Program Coordinator will be part of the SYEP leadership team under the Program Director and along with the Job Developer. The successful candidate will be responsible for effectively managing the daily operations of SYEP - OY. The Program Coordinator will serve as a point of contact for participants should they have program-related challenges that cannot be addressed by their direct supervisors. The Program Coordinator will ensure program activities are conducted successfully and that all paperwork related to program participants is in full compliance with the New York City Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD).
- Actively support program efforts in the recruitment and enrollment of participants.
- Serve as the SYEP Leadership Team's point person for participants, providing them with support on a need basis as challenges arise.
- Responsible for sending and responding to daily correspondences with program participants.
- Ensure all paperwork related to participants is organized and in compliance with DYCD standards and regular audit requirements.
- Assist with the on-boarding, professional development, and training of new staff members
- Responsible for the successful execution of program events such as SYEP Orientations, Job Fairs, Site Placement, and Reflection Activities.
- Responsible for inputting timesheets and timesheet adjustments on YEPS (DYCD online portal).
- Responsible for inputting monitoring notes on YEPS (DYCD online portal).
- Ensure participants receive payroll cards in a timely manner.
- Responsible for ensuring the closeout package process is accurate and timely, including participant evaluations, participant surveys, debit cards reports and participant success stories.
- Follow up with participants placed in waiting lists for job participant placement.
- Conduct site visits as needed.
- Ensure participant evaluations are handed into worksite monitors on-time.
- Responsible for general office management, including communication via phone and email, etc.
- Supervise all program interns, ensuring the quality of work and proper coaching protocols.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
- Seasonal position- March-September
- Monday - Friday 11:00 am-7:30 pm, with room for flexibility.
This position may require longer hours during enrollment season.
RATE OF PAY
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- College or graduate student may apply, Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Professional experience in the field of youth development and/or youth workforce development.
- Successful track record in program management.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Solid organizational skills, including attention to detail.
- Proven planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation skills; can work in a well--planned and organized manner; can follow through multiple deliverables.
- Organization and people savvy; can make informed decisions; can collaborate, lead and develop others, influence, forge strong partnerships and maintain cordial, professional relationships.
- Comfortable dealing with change and fluid environments; flexible and adaptable especially when faced with challenging situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to clearly and appropriately communicate in a variety of settings.
- Proficient in the use of Google Suite, MS Office applications, social media and other technology platforms for youth programs.
- Able to travel via subway or bus.
- Able to travel to various sites in New York City.
WORK AUTHORIZATION & CLEARANCE
- Documentation of eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must pass the Y background checks
Established in 1917, YM&YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood (the "Y") is a not-for-profit Jewish community center that welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs. We offer a wide range of educational, sports, recreational, and social services programs to enhance the quality of life of the people we serve. From topnotch early childhood education and youth development programs to innovative senior center services, there's always something for everyone at the Y!