Location and Job Title:
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus
1125 College Ave.
Columbus, OH 43209
The Fitness Director is responsible for leading all programs and services related to building and inspiring a more connected, healthier, meaningful and active community through fitness and wellness.The Fitness Director will inspire a culture of kindness, open honest communication and a culture of listening to create a highly functional, productive, and positive environment for members and staff. The Director will activate every staff member and train them to deliver a consistent, well-designed experience that leads to increased member engagement and a stronger JCC through increased revenue and participation.
The Fitness Director will build a strong culture of engaged staff members that embody the mission, vision and values of the JCC; bringing those attributes to every interaction. Staff will have a deep and thorough understanding of the agency, the services offered, the reasons why they are offered and their role in the J's success.
- Knowledge and Education - Minimum Required or Preferred: Possess BA/BS in Physical Education, Exercise, Fitness or related field or relevant number of years' experience.
- Experience - Minimum Required or Preferred: Possess 2 - 4 years of supervisory experience. Strong literacy and expertise using computers and technology.
- Special Skills: Certifications in: Personal training, aerobics (ACE, NSCA, ACSM), CPR and First Aid; able to lift 50 pounds on a routine basis. Familiarity with MindBody and CRM systems preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fitness Personnel
- Supervise and manage key fitness center employees (personal trainers, group exercise coordinator, senior fitness coordinator, and floor staff)
- Responsible for Personal Training Staff
- Hire, train, review/evaluate, schedule & supervise all direct reports
- Distribute new training clients to the Personal Trainers
- Personally train 3-5 clients per week
- Fitness Equipment
- Maintenance and daily cleaning of all equipment
- Recommend equipment purchases
- Work with vendors to ensure all fitness equipment is in proper working condition
- Coordination w/equipment and cable provider
- Fitness Budget
- Responsible for Fitness & Health Center Department Budget & Equipment
- Develop & maintain Fitness Budget, including Group Exercise Budget
- Provide monthly, quarterly and on demand budget reports
- Manage timecards and report payroll (including commissions)
- Provide monthly PT, Group EX and Program income reports
- Fitness Programming
- Oversee, maintain, evaluate, innovate & market group exercise programs
- Oversee, maintain, evaluate, innovate & market personal & group training for adults and youth
- Including sports specific youth and teen training programs
- Oversee, maintain, evaluate, innovate & market fitness assessment and equipment orientations
- Oversee, maintain, evaluate, innovate & market specialized fitness classes
- Oversee, maintain, evaluate, innovate, market & program health clubs
- Create and develop fitness programming that is trending, cutting edge and keeps the JCC fitness programming fresh and competitive
- Fitness Membership
- Responsible for Fitness Programming Member Recruitment
- Work with Member Services to provide tours, orientations & marketing
- Work with Member Services on the retention and recruitment of Health Center members
- Fitness Floor
- Maintain quality customer service by engaging with members on the floor of the fitness center
- Maintain a professional appearance in the fitness center
- Department Responsibilities
- Attend regular individual meetings with direct supervisor.
- Attend Recreation and Wellness Team meetings
- Attend Team J Management meetings
- Oversee the management of the Health Center area
- On duty coverage responsibilities. Hours may include weekends, weekday mornings and evenings, and special events.
- Lead the Fitness Committee and set meetings regularly
- Be a contributing member of the JCC Staff by assisting in other areas of the Agency as needed and/or requested by supervisor and/or JCC management.
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus is a human service agency offering a varied program that is Jewish in nature. It is committed to enhancing the quality of individual and family life through the promotion of physical, intellectual and spiritual wellness. It provides educational and cultural programs that reflect the Jewish heritage, health related activities and many services to the community at large. Through its wide array of programs, the JCC pursues its mission of strengthening the individual, family and community.
The JCC nurtures a passion for Jewish learning and living. Through programs and services, the JCC provides comfortable and inviting environments in which the community can thrive.