You are here: Home
| Search for a Job
Location and Job Title:
Bethesda/Chevy Chase Jewish Family Ambassador
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, operating a full-scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
Our core values are
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) - We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) - We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) - We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people as a whole, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) - We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (B'yachad) - We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh v'HaGuf) - We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) - We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
Our J Family Ambassadors (JFAs) build authentic relationships, create new, barrier-free Jewish experiences, expand communities, and impart relevant Jewish content to families with Jewish children under the age of 6. JFAs support the Ambassador program via regular correspondence with their constituency, face-to-face gatherings, and small-scale outreach and events. This position also works in coordination with and support of the Family Engagement department. This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with our community and have a significant impact on the experience of program participants.
This is a part-time position, scheduled for up to 7 hours a week.
- Contact new families, with children under the age of 6; explain program goals and identify their interests and needs.
- Plan, organize, and facilitate regular gatherings in assigned neighborhood.
- Manage logistics, marketing, budget, and development of intimate, small-scale engagement opportunities at family-friendly destinations or home-based gatherings.
- Deepen connections through follow-up with photos, contact information, and invitations to future gatherings.
- Cultivate new marketing opportunities to expand participation in JFA program.
- Maintain and track accurate database of communications with parents.
- Serve as concierge to cross-promote all local Jewish community programs.
- Participate in regular training/conference calls to learn and share best practices with other JFA ambassadors.
- Work with all JCC staff.
- Build and foster teamwork within the Family Engagement departments.
- Attend PJ Library meetings and general meetings as required.
- A self-starter. You are not afraid of ambiguity. You understand that it is your job to create the clarity you seek and you relish making order out of chaos.
- Collaborative. You enjoy learning from and with talented colleagues and are excited to be part of the success of the Bender JCC.
- Savvy and Intuitive. You are adept at communicating ideas to a range of stakeholders and you know that different settings often require different methods and tools. You understand when confidentiality is necessary and are able to maintain it.
- Passionate about the work. You are motivated by the mission of the Bender JCC and you have a deep connection and desire for this work to exist in the world.
- Innovative and grounded. You love trying new things and devising creative solutions to persistent problems. Most importantly, you know how to make it happen.
- You believe that diversity is a strength. You account for the value of diversity in every aspect of your work and you understand the nuances of diversity that shape the experiences of members and guests.
- Organized. You are able to handle multiple tasks and show a high level of attention to detail in your work.
- Flexible. You're comfortable with change in your work environment and schedule.
You should have:
- Ability to lift, carry and transport program materials as needed.
- Ability to travel to various locations which may or may not be accessible by public transportation.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Basic knowledge of Montgomery County and its communities.
- Knowledge of Jewish traditions, holidays and customs.
- Knowledge about local offerings for parents with 0-6 year olds, both within and outside of the Jewish community.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, web-based applications, and social media.
- Experience in Salesforce, Zoom, and google docs (preferred, but not required).
- Access to a computer and internet.
- Ability to perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned.
- Required COVID-19 vaccination.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position, with an hourly rate of $23 per hour. You'll also receive an individual membership to the Bender JCC, including complete access to the entire fitness facility and pools.
This is a hybrid position, serving the Bethesda/Chevy Chase community. In person work will take place at event locations throughout Montgomery County.
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they feel that they meet 100% of the qualifications. If this role sounds interesting to you, we encourage you to apply! The Bender JCC is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.