Location and Job Title:
Early Childhood Head Teacher: 2-4 year-olds
5625 Arlington Ave
Bronx, NY 10471
We are looking for an Early Childhood Head Teacher for the 2-4 year-old age group to play a key role in aiding the growth of our Early Childhood Center. A Head Teacher in the Riverdale YM-YWHA Early Childhood Center is responsible for the day to day program in his/her assigned classroom and for providing a warm, nurturing, safe and developmentally sensitive environment. He/she will translate the school's philosophy and goals into effective curriculum and programs which meet the needs of students and families in the community. These will be stated in the Early Childhood Teacher handbook, and will be distributed annually.
We are looking for a team player to be part of a growing program.
This position reports to the Early Childhood Center (ECC) Director
Hours of Work
- As established by the collective bargaining unit or stated in hiring letter. Current work hours are from 8am-4pm with a daily half hour of preparation outside of school
- Unspecified weekend and/or evening hours as designated in the school calendar or designated by supervisor.
- Plan, supervise and implement an integrated, age appropriate, developmentally sensitive and experiential curriculum in accordance with the philosophy of the school
- Create and maintain a classroom learning environment that is child centered, inviting and clean
- Involve Assistant Teachers, aids, and substitute teachers in all areas of classroom management including curriculum implementation using a team approach
- Conduct reflective feedback and discussion with Assistant Teacher
- Carry out appropriate and positive discipline established in accordance with the philosophy of school.
Reports & Records
- Timely completion of attendance, health and other reports required by the school, the Y and/or other agencies cooperating with the Y
- Timely submission of written curriculum lesson plans and newsletters
- Completion of incident/accident reports signed and filed appropriately
- Ensure that all required coursework is fulfilled in a timely manner and that all mandated forms are up to date and in their file
- Accurate completion of attendance and other personnel records
- Conduct and complete child assessment reports twice yearly.
- Establish and maintain ongoing communication with parents through face to face meetings, newsletters, parent conferences and parent visits
- Maintain confidential and professional behavior and interaction with children, parents and other staff
- Participate in individual supervision, staff meetings, trainings and school events as outlined in teacher handbook and calendar
- Work cooperatively with specialists and consultants
- Membership in professional organizations is strongly encouraged.
This position is being offered through Learning Bridges. For more information about this NYC Program, please visit:
Education & Experience Requirements
- MA or MS in Education (or a study plan to complete one)
- 1 - 2 years as an Assistant Teacher in an Early Childhood setting
- New York State Certification for Early Childhood Education (or a study plan to complete one).
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate with parents and children and co-workers
- Strong communication skills both written and oral
- Familiarity with basic office machines including, but not limited to copy machine, computer, Internet and phones
- Knowledge of Jewish Holidays, traditions and culture is a plus
- Compliance with NY State and NY City continuing professional development credits.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be regularly required to use office equipment and communicate and move around the building, classroom, deck and playground. Due to the nature of the job, it is necessary to be able to sit on early childhood equipment, including the floor and rug. It also may be necessary, in emergency or other situations, to pick up a 45 pound child. Teachers may need to change diapers.
About the Riverdale Y
The Riverdale Y is a 75,000 sq. ft. Jewish Community Center that provides educational, recreational, cultural, and wellness programs for children and adults of all ages and backgrounds. The Y features an early childhood center; summer camps; large after school program; senior center; performing arts center featuring theater, dance and music schools; and a health & wellness center that includes cardio and free weight studios, group exercise classes, gymnasium, swimming pool, steam room, sauna and massage therapy.
For more information, please visit https://www.riverdaley.org/about-us/jobs/