Location and Job Title:
Kaplen JCC on the Palisades
411 E. Clinton Ave.
Tenafly, NJ 07670
The Kaplen JCC on the Palisades is seeking a Fitness Director (Director) primarily responsible for directing, training, overseeing and maintaining all aspects of the fitness and wellness programs of the JCC. The Director will serve as an integral part of the Health and Wellness management team, agency as a whole and will work closely in conjunction with the membership & marketing department. The Director will be expected to provide excellence in customer service, safety and cleanliness for the fitness facilities. The Director must be detail oriented, organized, flexible and able to handle multiple projects at the same time.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to members concerns, suggestions and complaints in a timely, professional and consistent manner (24-hour response time via email and/or phone).
- Work with membership to funnel leads from new member joins to fitness programs
- Work with courtesy team to help guide existing and new members into fitness programs
- Continually evaluate programs, solicit feedback, review and analyze results
- Prepare statistical reports pertaining to fitness center usage and services
- Purchase and maintain appropriate inventory of needed supplies for the department
- Work with marketing department to create content promote fitness programs
- Communicate policies and programs to families and promote family participation in special programs and events
- Participate and attend (where feasible) professional conferences and workshops
Management & Supervision
- Recruit, supervise, train and evaluate all fitness floor staff, personal trainers and other part-time staff, as needed
- Ensure ongoing training and development of staff, including monthly meetings and mentorship opportunities
- Mentor staff to become well versed personal trainers in the areas of sales, client retention, and injury education
- Manage a diverse team to ensure job expectations are met through coaching and maintain a culture of accountability
- Conduct individual evaluations for fitness personnel to establish and monitor department goals
- Provide back-up support and on-the-job supervision for staff
- Build and maintain a personal training program that is effective, revenue generating, and meets the needs of our community
- Ensure appropriate use and maintenance of fitness centers to facilitate the best member experience.Communicate with Facilities Manager and CHWO regarding any required maintenance, repairs and/or replacement of equipment.
- Work cooperatively with outside services to both service and repair equipment as needed
- Manage existing and feature leases to ensure high quality and safe equipment is provided
- Develop, implement, and maintain department budget including monthly
review to ensure targets are met or exceeded
- Implement systems and work with staff to reach the departments
- Manage purchase orders and check requests for fitness related purchases
- Oversee departmental billing and complete payroll within budgetary guidelines
Program Planning and Development
- Develop, implement, and supervise programs and classes for all ages, including, but not limited to: weight loss programs, fitness challenges, and trend based specialty offerings
- Keep informed of various trends and programs in the community and nationally that may be introduced, adapted to and have effect on JCC programs
- Work with other JCC departments, and other organizations to enhance activities and programs
- Serve as fitness liaison to Englewood Hospital and partner on programs such as: condition specific exercise programs, nutrition, and wellness events.
- Participate in staffing major JCC programs or events outside of the department when assigned (ie. Rubin Run, Golf Tournament, etc.)
Qualifications & Specialized Skills
- Nationally recognized personal training certification or the equivalent of a 4 year degree in relevant field
- Current CPR, AED, First Aid Certifications
- Experience managing a diverse team and ability to ensure staff meets job expectations through coaching and creating an environment of accountability
- Customer service orientated and result driven
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain fitness programs that are effective, revenue generating, and meet the needs of our community members
- Strong communicational, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability mentor staff to become well versed personal trainers in the areas of sales, client retention, and injury prevention
- Demonstrated ability to develop programming for all age groups
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to respond to inquiries and concerns quickly.
55,000 - 65,000
Kaplen JCC On The Palisades is a welcoming home away from home for all who pass through its front doors. Our 185,000 square foot building plus acres of outside grounds feature 2 fitness centers, an indoor and outdoor aquatics center, group exercise, spin and pilates studios, 2 gymnasiums, tennis and racquet courts, indoor track, a luxurious spa, multiple playgrounds and fields and so much more. The JCC is home to the renowned Thurnauer School of Music, Leonard and Syril Rubin Nursery School, Neil Klatskin Day Camp, and the JCC Dance and Drama Schools. The JCC is also proud to offer extensive, high quality programs and services to adults of all ages, as well as to seniors and individuals with special needs.