Location and Job Title:
Substitute Teacher, Bender ECC
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
Position Summary: Provide coverage in classrooms when Bender JCC teaching staff is absent for long term or short term absences.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Complying with the supervision, direction and mentoring by the lead teacher, assistant teacher, preschool leadership.
- Supporting daily plan under the direction of the lead teacher and coordinating with other support staff who may work in the classroom.
- Supporting the educational experience of the students and their families in line with the school philosophy.
- Communicating with classroom staff concerning incidents and issues in the classroom.
- Being aware of student allergies and other health issues.
- Attending to the personal hygiene of students, as needed, including, but not limited to, changing soiled clothes and diapers.
- Preparing snacks for the classroom.
- Maintaining the all areas neat and clean
- Leaving only when child is in the care of an authorized adult.
- Working as scheduled byoffice staff or classroom staff
- Taking part in the daily clean up of the room, which includes but is not limited to, putting all toys and equipment away, making sure all food items are wrapped and put away in accordance to licensing and wiping down the tables and chairs.
- Following the sign in and time reporting processes as established by the preschool and the Bender JCC.
- Reading, understanding and adhering to the information in the Bender Preschool Handbook and Bender JCC Staff Handbook.
- Attending a yearly meeting for substitute training, date to be determined.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Physical ability to insure the safety and care of the children;
- Lifting a minimum of 30 pounds.
- Meet the physical requirements of the job as outlined in the Bender JCC Preschool Staff Handbook;
- Knowledge of best practices in Early Childhood education and a commitment to continued education.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Strong spoken language skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of best practice in Early Childhood education and a commitment to continued education.
- Openness to feedback from colleagues and administrators.
Education and Experience:
- College degree preferred
- Three to five years of related work experience
- Knowledge of, and respect for, the mission of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington.
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington, including its Personnel Handbook, and to abide by them.
- Work in a team environment.
- Communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.