Location and Job Title:
Community & Outreach Programs Director
Harry and Rose Samson Family JCC
6255 N Santa Monica Blvd
Milwaukee, WI 53217-4353
The Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center (JCC) is seeking an enthusiastic, organized and team-oriented Community & Outreach Programs Director. Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Community & Outreach Programs Director is a senior leader in the agency and is ultimately responsible for the vision, practice, and program delivery for Arts & Culture, Community and Social Action Programs. The Community & Outreach Programs Director supervises the Arts & Culture Director, the Social Action Director, the Community Programs Coordinator, and the Jewish Family Specialist. In partnership with the Chief Program Officer, the Community & Outreach Programs Director oversees program development, staff oversight, as well as supervision and implementation of the programs in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the JCC. The Community & Outreach Programs Director will ensure that the highest levels of care, education are program delivery are met for members and the community served in these programs.
The Community & Outreach Programs Director is a part of the JCC Leadership and Supervision teams and connects the programs and Community Services to the JCC through participation in Supervisory Trainings, Staff Communication meetings, Operations, and Programmatic meetings.
The JCC is a non-profit social services agency founded upon Jewish ethics and values. Committed to meeting the ever-changing needs of the entire community, the JCC strengthens Jewish identity and enriches quality of life through diversified social, educational, recreational, and cultural programs. Operating out of six facilities throughout Wisconsin, the JCC provides the total community with a forum for open dialogue and offers inclusive wellness, education, and community services for members and guests of all backgrounds.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Directly supervise and support the Arts & Culture Director, Community Programs Staff, and Social Action Director. Provide mentorship, guidance and growth in a safe, healthy and intellectually stimulating and challenging work environment.
- Provide leadership to Community & Holiday Programs including but not limited to Community Hanukkah Programs & Events, Community Yamim (Israel Independence Day, Israel Memorial Day, Holocaust Remembrance Day), July 4th Programs & Events, Summer Outreach Carnivals.
- Direct, coordinate, author and oversee the United Way annual allocation process for the HRS JCC in consultation with the Chief Program Officer.
- Work in partnership with the Milwaukee Jewish Federation for oversee and support the Shin Shin (Young Israeli Emissary) Program.
- Ensure the highest levels of communication with program users and members is achieved through active supervision and mentorship of staff. Ensure that this communication is varied and may include written plans, reflections, meetings, newsletters, and that all staff are adequately communicating program goals and plans to program users.
- Ensure JCC programs and classes are developed, recruited for, organized, logistically supported, and delivered so that a cohesive program is offered for JCC members and the greater community.
- Oversee the annual budget(s) of responsible departments and ensure that fiscal goals are met.
- Work with the Chief Program Officer to create a shared vision to offer consistently excellent programming.
- Ensure that JCC programs and community services are adequately staffed and that they have adequate supplies so that our programs maintain excellence in quality and delivery.
- Complete annual performance evaluations as well as initial reviews for direct reports as well as any other department staff under supervision in consultation and collaboration with their direct supervisors where applicable.
- Orient and train staff appropriately to ensure the highest levels of program delivery and standards.
- Participate in Supervisor training and professional development sessions.
- Assume responsibilities as assigned for JCC special events.
- Adhere to, and ensure CPO is apprised of any concerns, challenges or other potential impacts to the JCC.
- Must actively promote and practice the organization's Rules of Positive Communication.
- Perform the MOD duties as assigned on a weekly and annual basis.
- Perform other duties and assume additional responsibilities as needed.
Decision Making by Co-determination:
The Community & Outreach Programs Director makes independent decisions when necessary regarding responsiveness to program user needs and concerns regarding program content and delivery, program materials needed, as well as managing the multiple functions of the individual programs. The Community & Outreach Programs Director communicates on a regular basis with and supports the guidance and direction offered by the Chief Program Officer. He / She consults with the Chief Program Officer and when necessary, the CEO regarding the daily functioning of the JCC programs and Community Services and apprises the CPO of any challenges that are currently being faced in a timely manner.
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements (KSAs)
- Ability to articulate the influences of Judaic culture on our programs to program users and staff and be sensitive to cultural differences.
- Knowledge of Judaic culture and traditions including but not limited to; Jewish holidays, rituals, and customs.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and enthusiasm in work style, create a positive and harmonious workplace, effectively manage time, understand individual leadership styles and its influence on the well-being of the department staff.
- Ability to resolve conflict effectively and demonstrate maturity as well as the ability to get along with a variety of people.
- Ability to respond effectively to constructive criticism and give constructive feedback to staff, and ensure that an environment which fosters maximum physical, social, cognitive and emotional development is developed and maintained.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer software: including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated effective written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills; customer-service orientation with specific strength in diplomacy and discretion strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience in program planning, curriculum development and implementation.
The Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center is a non-profit, social service agency founded upon Jewish ethics and values. It is committed to meeting the ever changing needs of the entire Jewish community for strengthening Jewish identity and for enriching the quality of Jewish life.
The Center provides the total community with a forum for open dialogue regarding matters affecting Jewish life here, in Israel and throughout the World. It initiates diversified social, educational, recreational and cultural programs within a Jewish setting.
The JCC is a partner in serving the community with the Milwaukee Jewish Federation, is affiliated with the JCC Association of North America and a Beneficiary agency of the United Way of Greater Milwaukee.