Location and Job Title:
Assistant Preschool Counselor for Noah's Ark Summer Camp
JCC of Greater Baltimore
3506 Gwynnbrook Ave
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Noah's Ark Summer Camp is about discovery, exploration, and friendships. We provide children with incredible experiences both indoors and outdoors, including swim, sports, music and movement, nature and gardening, Israeli Culture, farm to table cooking, arts and crafts, weekly Shabbat sing-a-longs and so much more! Our camp counselors work collaboratively to take advantage of all that summer has to offer, leaving campers with a memorable summer experience.
As an Assistant Camp Counselor, you are responsible for supporting the Lead Counselor in providing a safe and stimulating environment which allows children to develop a sense of independence and encourages mutual respect. The assistant counselor will contribute knowledge, insight, ideas, and creativity to the team. You will help during daily activities and experiences that promote discovery, increase children's awareness and problem-solving skills, inspires them to delve deeper in their learning and explorations and express their creativity.
The assistant counselor supports the development and implementation of a high-quality camp program for the children which reflects the vision and values of the Noah's Ark and the JCC as a whole.
- Contribute ideas to the planning and implementation of daily camp activities
- Work and engage with children, individually and in small groups
- Nurture physical, spiritual, emotional, social, and intellectual growth and development of each child
- Provide care, protection, and guidance to the children
Administrative & Classroom
- Provide a cheerful, nurturing, healthy, safe, and clean classroom environment
- Assist in the set-up and clean-up of class activities
- Maintain storage, organization, and cleanliness of classroom equipment and materials
- Communication & Community
- Communicate any concerns regarding a child's progress, a parent, or a classroom issue to the Lead Counselor and the Director
- Protect the rights and privacy of children and families by maintaining confidentiality according to the NAEYC Code of Ethics
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move from standing to crouching and to sitting on the floor and back to standing. Physical stamina is required to bend, stand, lift up to 35 pounds, work with children on the floor, work outdoors in a variety of temperatures, and the mobility to ensure the supervision and safety of children. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and incumbent will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by supervisor or other management as required. The JCC reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the needs arise. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- High school diploma
- Strong oral communication skills
- Ability to relate to young children and adults
- Ability to actively engage with children
- Ability to carry out assigned tasks
- Ability to multitask and maintain proper ratios/supervision at all times
- Ability to recognize safety hazards and protect children from harm
- Good character
- Ability and willingness to work with a team
- Possesses Certifications and coursework required by Licensing, or willingness to complete (CPR, Child Abuse Awareness and Prevention, Aid Orientation, Breastfeeding for Infant Toddler staff, Basic Health and Safety, COVID Course)
JCC membership is like becoming a part of a family, everyone truly is welcome! Drop by and take a tour; you won't believe how many wonderful recreational, educational, social and cultural activities you will find here. There really is something for everyone! Members enjoy a wide variety of benefits including free group fitness classes and use of our Fitness Center, Aquatics Center, Parenting Center, Teen Center and Performing Arts Center. Special member rates save you money on many classes and events as well.