Location and Job Title:
Swim Instructor - Independent Contractor
3960 Montclair Rd
Birmingham, AL 35213
General Position Summary:
The Swim Instructor position assists the Aquatic Director in the oversight of the Aquatic Center within the Levite Jewish Community Center, including but not limited to, Risk management, patron oversight, customer service, emergency response, proper documentation, facility/area upkeep, and assistance as requested by the Aquatics Director or professional staff.
- Perform all necessary Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor skills as certified by the American Red Cross
- Stay up to date on all Certifications
- Respond to all medical and non-medical services in the Aquatics area
- Responsible for offering and outstanding customer experience
- Ensure that all policies and procedures relating to the Aquatic Center and risk management are enforced
- Ensure pool areas are clean and presentable
- Completion of all incident and accident reports as necessary
- Other duties as requested by the Aquatics Director
- Embrace all Core Values and all inherent missions, goals, directives and tasks of the LJCC
As a result of working as a Swim Instructor, you have the opportunity to acquire and improve communication skills, conflict management, teamwork, leadership, adaptability, and customer service skills.
- Must be 16 years or older
- Must have current American Red Cross Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor Certification (or equivalent certification).
- Ability to perform all American Red Cross skills as trained.
- Leadership and supervisory abilities
- Ability to thrive in an environment that values high expectations, accountability, and balanced lifestyles
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to relate with peers
- Ability to work as part of a professional team that collaborates effectively with colleagues
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Must abide to a background check along with DHR fingerprinting process
- Ability to speak fluent English, understand it as well as read and write
- Follow all CDC guidelines and ensure members and guest safety
Special Requirements and Physical Demands:
- Perform water rescue as needed and per the guidelines of the American Red Cross
- Tasks involve the ability to exert moderate physical effort, which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling objects and materials of moderate weight, bending, stooping, stretching, squatting, reaching above head, sitting and several hours on feet walking around and in water.
- Must have visual and auditory ability to keep track of multiple children, members and guest to identify and respond to environment and other hazards related to activities.
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children, members and guest understand.
- Frequent exposure to outside elements, such as sun exposure, heat, humidity, cold and rain.
- Position required occasional internal interaction with employees, parents, supervisors, officers, board members, other agency personnel and community members.
- Responsible for maintaining positive courteous and professional relationships with families and children enrolled in the program, all LJCC staff, and other related agencies and the greater community.
- This is a community center and must be treated that way with a respectful mind set of others and shared spaces happening in and around the LJCC at all times.
Levite Jewish Community Center
3960 Montclair Road
Birmingham, AL. 35213