Location and Job Title:
Administrative Assistant, Early Learning Center
JCC of Greater Baltimore
3506 Gwynnbrook Ave
Owings Mills, MD 21117
The Administrative Assistant is a full-time position that demands strong organizational skills and the ability to create and maintain a positive, welcoming school environment. Under the supervision of the Director, the Administrative Assistant is primarily responsible for providing administrative support to the leadership team, in order to help daily operations of the school run efficiently and smoothly and enable the Director and the Assistant Director to focus on the priorities of the program.Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, answering regular phone calls and e-mails, taking messages, fielding questions, processing and monitoring enrollment, creating rosters, coordinating meetings/daily schedules, organizing field trips, overseeing orders and overall administrative and support duties for the Stoler ELC. This person will manage and help complete necessary processes between the Director or the school and Human Resources, Marketing and Accounting departments in accordance with JCC policies, procedures and state licensing standards. It will be necessary for the Administrative Assistant to be able to proactively anticipate the daily needs of the school along with projecting future needs and requirements.This individual must deliver exceptional customer service to staff, families enrolled at the school and other JCC members.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to arrive at work prepared, punctual and maintain a consistent attendance record.
- Basic understanding of child development and Jewish culture, values, and traditions or willingness to learn.
- Ability to work as a team, build strong relationships and help create a collaborative environment among staff, lay leadership and the community.
- Have strong personal communication skills and exceptional customer service skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be responsible, professional, trustworthy and reliable.
- Knowledge of and fluency with computers and common office software including the Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other common electronic applications (e.g. Internet, Google Calendar, etc.) Experience with Efinestri, Tadpoles and StoryPark preferred.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Possess a high level of confidentiality in order to maintain employee, student and member information private.
- Ability to organize tasks, develop plans, and implement plans to efficiently meet organizational goals.
- Ability to be flexible and respond to a variety of non-routine and unexpected tasks as they may arise.
- Strong time management and independent judgment skills required.
- Commitment to the JCC's mission, vision and values and strong working knowledge of the Stoler Early Learning Center and all of the programs it offers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide excellent customer service and create a warm, welcoming environment for all members, guests, and staff.
- Address needs and concerns of parents, families and staff daily in a positive and professional manner.
- Answer telephones calls and respond to questions regarding our school, camp, enrollment and schedule tours for prospective parents, meet the needs of current parents and direct all other calls to the correct employee/department.
- Respond to e-mails in a timely fashion.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, other departments, agencies and outside partners to market programs and increase community, family engagement and enrollment.
- Provide direct support to the ELC Director and Assistant Director, which may include confidential and sensitive information.
- Process all applications and communicate with membership and finance to ensure a smooth process.
- Responsible for all staff and child files per school and state regulations- ensuring all necessary paperwork is turned in by each person and fielded appropriately.
- Understand the continuing education requirements for all staff under the MSDE State Department of Education and accurately record and maintain certificates from trainings as required by the State.
- Create and regularly update quick reference rosters, classroom rosters and Tadpoles/StoryPark Parent Portal.
- Perform administrative duties for the ELC administration or teachers, which includes creating and sending out letters and emails, laminating, scanning, photocopying, printing pictures/documentation etc. assuring 100% accuracy.
- Understand and comply with the JCC and the Stoler ELC's rules, as well as state and federal laws and regulations, maintain records of the building's administration in accordance to federal, state and local laws.
- Maintain attendance records through Tadpoles.
- Monitor J Kids Enrichment class enrollment and provide staff with a schedule.
- Track drop-in days/extended days and charge accordingly.
- Arrange for meeting spaces and setups for scheduled events in Meeting Room Manager.
- Keep parents informed of school activities through reminders of StoryPark and text alerts through Tadpoles.
- Organize paperwork for all school mailings or distribution.
- Handle ordering all food, milk paper goods and art materials for the school, ensuring snack, paper supplies, and dry goods are all in stock and organized in the pantry and resource room.
- Responsible for closing or opening the school each day (based on schedule).
- Supports the Assistant Director in coordinating subs and coverage when a staff person is out.
- Participates in agency training, staff meetings, committees and special events.
- Maintains and enforces agency policies and procedures.
- Proactively work to support staff in planning activities including supporting school wide events, family engagement/community outreach events, or Parents Association activities.
- Coordinate challah program and Pizza Wednesdays.
- Schedule field trips, create permission slips and coordinate transportation for all off site field trips.
- Manage and submit all maintenance requests from classroom teachers.
- Maintain RSVP Lists for all ELC and Parents' Association events.
- Willingness to perform other job duties, functions, responsibilities as needed, required or assigned.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ALL EARLY CHILDHOOD STAFF:
- Provide for the health and safety of all children in the school.
- Comfortable speaking in a group setting such as tour.
- Provide tender, responsive, quality care, addressing children's needs.
- Create a positive, warm, individualized, nurturing, environment for children and encourage inquiry and open-ended thought.
- Consistently treat children with dignity, respect and compassion.
- Create a safe, healthful and secure environment for all children and faculty members.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Promote the equitable, fair and consistent treatment of all staff members, parents and children.
- Promote, administer and improve the organization's goals, philosophies, policies and mission statements.
- When providing classroom coverage provide a safe environment for all children in the school by keeping them in sight and sound.
- Participate in all training programs, conferences, seminars, courses and other aspects of professional growth and continuing education provided by the JCC and other outside resources to meet the MSDE licensing requirements.
The work environment within the Stoler ELC is typically fast paced.Being located off the ELC lobby can be hectic, loud and stressful during pick up and drop offs.This job requires high energy and positive interactions with staff as well as with members, other agency staff, community leaders, and outside partners, vendors, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must occasionally lift, push or pull objects or children, weighing up to 50 pounds. They must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time and walk extended distances such as escorting students to and from various locations, daily visits to the mailroom and performing other duties throughout the workday.The employee is regularly required to use their fingers and hands to grasp, hold, type, touch or access a mouse to use a computer.Although the employee is frequently required to sit, they may be occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
Specific visual abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.Aspects of this position will require that the Administrative Assistant is able to talk and hear.The noise level in the work environment can get loud and stressful.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and incumbent will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by supervisor or other management as required.The JCC reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the needs arise.This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Education: Associate degree required, Bachelor's degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum 2 years' experience working in a school setting, with children or in administration or office/secretarial experience.
Licensure: First Aid, CPR, Epi-pen and Medication Administration (can be acquired after hire).
JCC membership is like becoming a part of a family, everyone truly is welcome! Drop by and take a tour; you won't believe how many wonderful recreational, educational, social and cultural activities you will find here. There really is something for everyone! Members enjoy a wide variety of benefits including free group fitness classes and use of our Fitness Center, Aquatics Center, Parenting Center, Teen Center and Performing Arts Center. Special member rates save you money on many classes and events as well.