You are here: Home
| Search for a Job
Location and Job Title:
Outdoor Pool Manager (Part-Time)
JCC Greater Boston
333 Nahanton St
Newton, MA 02459
JCC Greater Boston is seeking a part-time Outdoor Pool Manager. This seasonal position is an opportunity to use your leadership skills to assist the organization in thriving. The Outdoor Pool Manager will create a welcoming, safe, and fun summer for our Outdoor Pool Members. This position is located on our beautiful campus in Newton, MA
JCC Greater Boston is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. We welcome staff and participants from diverse backgrounds. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs, or background. We are guided by JCC Greater Boston's core values -- Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration, and Transformation -- which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish.
This position will pay $22 - $27/hr. as a starting salary. The salary offered will ultimately be determined by the hours the employee will work, the scope of the position, the candidate's relevant experience, and internal equity. This position will start in mid-May or mid-June and run through Labor Day. If you have a strong focus on safety, customer service, and quality, apply today!
In addition to a rewarding position where you care for a community, the JCC Greater Boston provides excellent benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Outstanding working environment including free parking
- Complimentary access to the JCC Greater Boston facility in Newton - offering indoor swimming, fitness classes, and workout facilities
Application JCC Greater Boston welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds who meet the requirements specified above. If you want to share your talents with a great team, co-creating a thriving, dynamic organization which is devoted to community building and lasting impact, please send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com
Responsibilities of Outdoor Pool Manager
- Learn and oversee the processes, standards, and requirements to operate the outside pool effectively and safely. Ensure the safety of every pool patron through education, vigilant preventative guarding, first aid, emergency medical services, and rescue services.
- Monitor outdoor pool and solve problems when and if they arise. Ensure that all staff members are performing their duties to JCC expectations. Create a congenial, collaborative team dynamic.
- Manage lifeguards, cleaning staff, and other pool staff regarding shift changes, break rotations, and lunch breaks. Make shift changes as required. Oversee weekly lifeguard swims and skill checks. Perform swim tests.
- Act as a liaison between the pool members and the staff with an emphasis on customer service. Resolve logistical issues and member concerns in a professional manner or escalate them as appropriate.
- Manage the facility including swim lane changes. Ensure cleanliness and neatness of pool area grounds and bathrooms. Manage the pool and pump house. Specific responsibilities may include chemical maintenance, draining/filling, backwashing, and documentation.
- Serve as a member of the agency Fitness Staff with responsibilities that, at times, extend beyond the limits of his/her/their specialized functions. Attend training and meetings, as requested. Adheres to JCC protocols (e.g. walkie-talkie, safety equipment, appropriate dress).
Other activities, as required
Qualifications of Outdoor Pool Manager
- Has a current/valid American Red Cross Lifeguard certification, with CPR, AED and First Aid
- Is cheerful, modeling a "can do" approach
- Is able to mentor staff members, especially junior team members
- Has a desire and skills to maintain good working relationships with staff members, maintenance personnel, administrative personnel, and pool patrons
- Is able to see what is needed and take action proactively
- Has strong teamwork & relationship building skills, the ability to multitask, and the ability to manage situations effectively and diplomatically
- Has personal discipline and role modeling (e.g. high standards, punctuality, taking initiative)
- Has computer skills: Word, Excel, Email, Google Docs
Has an attitude that strives to meet JCC goals and objectives
Essential Functions of Outdoor Pool Manager
Is able to:
- see, hear, and cognitively recognize situations requiring lifeguarding services
- make safety-related decisions
- communicate with community members and coworkers in person effectively, over email, and on the phone
- read, write, understand, and speak English
- work in a high temperature and high humidity environment for extended periods
- vision requirements include the ability to read routine and technical documents, use a computer, and answer a telephone
- stand, walk, sit, stoop, and kneel frequently
- maintain an appropriate level of fitness in order to complete all job-related tasks including the ability to swim distances and dive to pool depths, as determined by testing/certification authorities, and to lift 50 pounds or heavier weights with assistance and/or the use of proper equipment
$22 - $27/hr.
JCC Greater Boston is a nonprofit organization with roots in earlier Settlement Houses and Young Men's Hebrew Associations; JCC Greater Boston today offers a wide range of services and program activities throughout the Greater Boston region (~50,000 individuals annually in 98 communities). The organization provides a variety of programs and services to children and adults in the Greater Boston Jewish community including preschools day camps, a regional model of Jewish family engagement, a fully equipped fitness and aquatic center, arts and culture classes, performances, lectures, and Jewish holiday celebrations.
Our vision is to create a vibrant and evolving Jewish community where everyone belongs. Our mission is to be at the heart of that community by:
- creating a thriving community that nurtures meaningful and lasting relationships
- welcoming a growing and increasingly diverse set of individuals and families from all over Greater Boston
- supporting the building of unique identities rooted in Jewish values and deeper connections to Jewish life
- nourishing minds, bodies, and spirits through dynamic, innovative, and accessible experiences, and
- expanding engagement by partnering closely with other organizations to ensure the continuing vitality of our community as a whole
JCC Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff, children, and program participants very seriously. On an ongoing basis, we align our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC and the state. In response to current local public health situations, our practices have previously included, and in the future may include, ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, vaccination requirements, and use of face coverings to promote the health of our staff and program participants.