Location and Job Title:
Head Teacher (3K For All & Pre-K For All)
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
An individual hired as a Head Teacher will report directly to the Director of the Early Childhood Center at one of any Early Childhood Programs under the Commonpoint Queens. This position supports the curriculum, classroom environment, and child care as determined by the Director.
In this 37.5 hour per week Full-time role, the Early Childhood Professional will support a 3k/PreK for All classroom.
- Schedule: Full time
- Location: Little Neck, Queens / Forest Hills, Queens
- Salary $45,000-$62,500
- Demonstrated capacity in planning appropriate Early Childhood classroom activities aligned with NYS Common Core Standards and DAP., observing children's behaviors, maintaining educational records and conferring with parents The curriculum will be based on the New York City's units of study for 3K/PreK
- Must have knowledge of progressive approaches to Early Childhood education and experiences with lesson planning based on NYC standards and expectations.
- Mastery of child development including typical and atypical language, cognitive, motor, social, and self-help skills development
- Desire to work with a diverse population of children and families (including, but not limited to families and children in transitional housing, first generation speakers of languages other than English, and those who may have experienced a history of trauma)
- Exceptional supervisory and leadership skills; capability to motivate others
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivator; ability to multi-task and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines
- Well-versed in DOH and DOE contractual and licensure requirements relative to classroom layout, curriculum, lesson plans, and service delivery to Commonpoint children and families
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local rules and regulations which govern childcare (including but not limited to Early Learn, Head Start, DOH Article 47 standards)
- Experience working with groups and/or families from diverse, cultural, linguistic, economic, and ethnic backgrounds
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification preferable
- Age-appropriately provide students with a nurturing, safe, and healthy environment to help them develop socially, intellectually, physically, and emotionally
- Develop engaging activities and lesson plans in accordance with the Department of Education.
- Provide services to all children and families with respect, confidentiality and dignity
- Exhibit knowledge of and sensitivity to the educational and socio-economic needs of the children and families served in the program
- Regularly create and post visual and written documentation to highlight the voice of the children and communicate the learning and growth that they experience daily
- Relate to families in a holistic fashion that incorporates education, social services, health and nutrition, and family issues
- Nurture and uphold positive working relationships with parents and staff
- Ensure parent involvement and/or awareness in program planning through regular, open communication (i.e. parent meetings and events, parent newsletters, daily notes, and parent conferences, etc.)
- Supervise and collaborate with Assistant Teacher and Teacher Aide regarding program development, planning and implementation and delegate their responsibilities professionally and accordingly
- Consistently update and maintain children's progress reports, daily health logs, incident logs, accident reports, lesson plans, and weekly child observation notes, etc.; comply with other required documentation and record keeping responsibilities as necessary
- Solve problems quickly and efficiently
- Maintain an open, frequent dialogue with the Education Director regarding all things pertaining to the Early Childhood classroom, students, parents, etc.
- Familiarity of community resources that support Commonpoint's overall mission and the student and families served within the Early Childhood Education program
- Supervise assigned group of children at all times
- Assist in maintaining a clean, safe facility for children and parents
- Work with other staff to coordinate use of shared space within the Early Childhood Education facility
- Display ethical and professional conduct that enables the building of a respectful, trusting and collaborative relationship with the center staff
- Comply with the established agency performance standards (including, but not limited to productivity/personal responsibility, embracing a team player orientation, and maintaining a professional demeanor, etc.)
- Seek professional development opportunities and participate in related training opportunities as they become available
- Model professional, appropriate behavior at all times
- Other Duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education required; Master's Degree in Early Childhood Education or active plan to obtain Master's Degree preferred
- New York State Certification required (B-2 or N-6)
- Experience with Early Childhood children (2-5 years old) required.
- Must be able to bend to a child's level and lift a minimum of 40 pounds.
To Apply: Email a cover letter and resume to Erica Cando (Forest Hills) at email@example.com or Anna Cassar (Little Neck) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate "Head Teacher, 3K/Pre-K" in the subject line of the email.
Commonpoint Queens is an equal opportunity employer/program
45,000 - 55,000
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.