Location and Job Title:
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
The Inclusion Specialist reports to the Director of JCC Kids Club Joaquin Miller and Director of Afterschool Programs. The Inclusion Specialist plays a vital role in the support of students on the spectrum in the JCC's afterschool programs with a key focus at the JCC Kids Club Afterschool Program at Joaquin Miller Elementary. The Inclusion Specialist demonstrates leadership abilities and maintains a positive and inclusive environment for students who need extra support as well as for their families.
- Help create toolboxes, alongside the Program Director, for students who need extra support in behavioral and emotional management.
- Create a "playbook" for necessary students, which includes any goals that the student should strive to achieve each day; partner with parents on rewards systems to ensure standardized systems for consistency at home, school, and afterschool.
- Provide at least three trainings for staff throughout the school year.
- Help regulate the emotions and behavior of students on the spectrum.
- Facilitate regulation of heightened student emotions.
- Establish a clear objective for each inclusion child.
- Assist teachers with conflict management between students.
- Assist in creating behavior contracts with the Program Director and Assistant Program Director.
- Develop strategies for teachers to include and engage students on the spectrum.
- Inform staff of what the spectrum is and gives any new or necessary information.
- Educate and inform teachers and parents of plans, objectives and progress as it relates to the child.
- Inform staff on different emotional zones (Red, Yellow, Green, and Blue zones) to be used as a case by case tool.
Health & Safety
- Full vaccination for Covid-19 required for all JCC East Bay staff; staff will be asked to submit appropriate documentation to HR when completing onboarding paperwork.
- Must wear a mask at all times, unless outside and need to hydrate or eat food.
- Must abide by other Covid-19 prevention strategies as assigned.
- Act as a positive and appropriate role model for children and fellow staff.
- Ability to perform at a high level in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects to meet deadlines.
- Proactive behaviors with leadership and consensus building skills.
- Goal-oriented and close attention to detail.
- Must be able to create a schedule to check in with all sites and engage with problem solving and resource sharing.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Must be comfortable upholding an antiracist program
- Consistent attendance as an inclusion specialist is required as this role is a critical component in the success of the afterschool program.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Salary information will be shared one-on-one with candidates. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, and holidays.
- At least 1-2 years of experience working with children on the spectrum.
- At least 1-2 years of experience working with children grades K-5.
- ABA Training or other Special Education training.
- BA in Education or relevant field preferred.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to organize tasks, and develop and implement plans to efficiently meet organizational goals.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to push/pull and lift/carry objects weighing 50 pounds.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit on floors and chairs, and to get up and down quickly.
- Ability to bend from knees and waist to help a child.
- Ability to maneuver in confined lavatories to aid children with toilet needs.
- Ability to respond without delay to needs of young children.
- Regular and consistent attendance and ability to work a full shift; must be available Monday through Friday from 2pm to 6pm.
The JCC East Bay is a welcoming home for people of all ages and life stages. Our mission is to create healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We build interpersonal relationships, foster learning and inspiration, and explore Jewish life. The JCC's core programs include intergenerational Jewish holiday celebrations; early childhood education and preschool; camp and afterschool programs; and provocative cultural arts and civic engagement events. The JCC serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay, offering gathering spaces for the Jewish and broader community