Commonpoint Queens is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community center serving over 10,000 persons of diverse backgrounds in Queens County. Commonpoint Queens provides a continuum of social, recreational, and educational services for children, families and adults. For over two generations, Commonpoint Queens, located in Forest Hills Queens, has been a special place for thousands of families, older adults, children and individuals who participate in its parenting, preschool, after school, cultural arts, camping, health and fitness, social services, and senior programming.
Commonpoint Queens is looking for a well-qualified Counselor Advocate for an extended day program located in Forest Hills High School. The Counselor Advocate serves as the primary person in guiding at-risk participants in 9-12 th grade through the academic and social challenges that are involved in achieving successes toward graduation. The Counselor Advocate will be responsible for providing academic, work readiness, life skills, post secondary, and career counseling to participants of our programs. He/She will perform individual and group counseling duties consistent with the needs of program participants and will assist with the delivery of educational services.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB
1. Establish a rapport with all program participants. Assist them in identifying their educational and career goals; help them to formulate future plans.
2. Implement and conduct workshops on work readiness, career development, life skills, and student enrichment.
3. Recruit students; and conduct intake assessments and interviews.
4. Monitor the attendance, academic, and career progress of participants on assigned caseload.
5. Provide interpersonal group and individual counseling.
6. Provide necessary referrals to community resources.
7. Work in a collaborative team, including participation in staff meetings, contractor meetings, and staff
development in order to support student progress.
8. Monitor and document student progress in various service areas (guidance and counseling,
academic support, life skills, work readiness).
9. Conduct daily attendance outreach.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EDUCATION
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.