Location and Job Title:
Counselor, After School Program
Harold and Elaine Shames JCC on the Hudson
371 S Broadway
Tarrytown, NY 10591
Almost Home at the Shames JCC on the Hudson is a warm, safe, stimulating, and professionally supervised after-school enrichment program for children in kindergarten through 6th grade. Free transportation to the JCC is provided by the Tarrytown and Irvington school districts. The program offers age-appropriate activities in an educational, recreational and social setting.
The Shames JCC is currently looking for several warm and caring individuals to work as counselors in this program. Counselors will work collaboratively with each other and with leaders of the Almost Home program, as well as potentially staff across other JCC departments. Pay range varies depending on experience.
The duties of a counselor in the JCC's Almost Home after-school program may include (without limitation):
- Attending training prior to the beginning of the program
- Serving snack
- Setting up the room for the day
- Attending staff meetings
- Homework assistance
- Receiving buses
- Taking attendance
- Playing endless games of Uno and Connect Four
- Helping children with social skills
- Leading activities such as beading, baking, Legos, science experiments, Ga-Ga, sewing, and more.
- 1 to 2+ years of experience working with grade school children
- High school degree (or equivalent)
- Ability to work during program days/hours:
- Days: Mondays through Fridays, starting September 3, 2019 - June 24, 2020, excluding school holidays and JCC closings
- Hours: From 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM
- A minimum commitment of two (regularly scheduled) days per week is required; a commitment of five days per week is preferred
- Ability to attend scheduled training and regular staff meetings
- Experience working with children with special needs is a plus; please note on your application
- Experience working with children during recreational swim is a plus; please note on your application
- Upon hiring, this job requires fingerprinting, background check and Tuberculosis test
The Shames JCC on the Hudson is a welcoming, inclusive gathering place where we enrich the greater community by offering social, recreational, educational and cultural opportunities guided by Jewish values. We are a non-sectarian community center, providing experiences for individuals and families throughout their lives.