Location and Job Title:
Hudson Cliffs Instructor/Umpire
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
THE HUDSON CLIFFS BASEBALL LEAGUE
The Hudson Cliffs Baseball League is a community program for children of all ability levels that develop young peoples' baseball skills. We foster a love for the game in a fun, positive, and inclusive environment.
The Hudson Cliffs Baseball League (HCBL) Umpire will officiate youth baseball games. When not officiating, the HCBL Umpire will be called upon to aid coaches in instruction during pre-game practices as well as help Y program staff with the general operations of the league.
- Prepare fields for play.
- Officiate youth baseball games.
- Assist coaches in baseball instruction during practices and provide in-game baseball education to participants.
- Assist Y program staff and parent volunteers in grounds keeping, set-up, and cleanup duties.
- Responsible for the safety of 10-14 young people; ensure they are protected from any unreasonable risk to their health and safety, including physical or sexual abuse or any public health hazard.
- Abide by the personnel policies, safety rules, and program of HCBL.
- Attend and participate in pre-season staff training, HCBL meetings, activities, programs, and games.
- Model appropriate behavior to youth participants, and use positive behavior-management techniques with children when necessary.
- Model commitment to the values and goals of the Y.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
- Part-time position
- Sunday: 8:00 am - 2:00 pm; April - June
- $16/hour while umpiring
- $31/hour while instructing
- Able to lift at least 40 lbs.
- Able to crouch for periods during officiating
- Work is performed outdoors in all kinds of weather
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to remain vigilant, focused, calm, and composed
- Expansive knowledge of baseball rules and fundamentals
- Able to demonstrate consistent punctuality in all meetings, programs, activities, and games
- Ability to administer discipline in a fair and appropriate manner to coaches, players, and spectators
- Good decision-making skills
- Passionate, engaged and energetic about all aspects of HCBL
- At least 16 years of age, with working papers
- High School Diploma, required; College Degree, preferred
- Three years of experience playing organized baseball or softball
- One year of experience officiating baseball or softball preferred
- Experience working with children in informal educational settings (e.g., camps, after school programs) preferred
- Two years of experience running activities with children K-5th grade
- Two years of experience communicating and working with families with children of different abilities
WORK AUTHORIZATION & CLEARANCE
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must pass the background check, medical form and fingerprinting through the Department of Health.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at time of hire.
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.