Location and Job Title:
GROUP FITNESS INSTRUCTOR-GENERAL
Merage JCC of Orange County
One Federation Way
Irvine, CA 92603
Merage JCC of Orange County
DATE: July 2021
JOB TITLE: GROUP FITNESS INSTRUCTOR-GENERAL
REPORTS TO: GROUP FITNESS MANAGER
STATUS: PART-TIME (10 hours a week)
Leads and coordinates individual or group adult fitness/physical training sessions for a specified health and fitness program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and leads exercise/activity sessions in one or more assigned fitness areas.
- Sets up and monitors class equipment, and ensures its return in serviceable condition.
- Advises participants on program and class procedures and policies, as appropriate.
- Distributes handouts and/or class evaluations, if appropriate, and answers questions from participants after each session; assists in performing follow-up and communication with participants, as required.
- Tracks progress of clients; maintains client files as appropriate.
- Ensures that safety and injury prevention policies and procedures are adhered to by participants; reports accidents and prepares accident reports, as required.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
- High school diploma or GED; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Recognized competency in field of instructional expertise. May require technical certification dependent on the instructional specialty (AFAA, ACE, NETA, NASM, etc.).
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Skill in the use of first aid procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Knowledge of fitness training and education methods and techniques in area of specialty.
- Knowledge of exercise principles and technology.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of fitness equipment and facilities.
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
Conditions of Employment
- CPR Certification required within 2 months of date of hire.
- Discipline-specific licensures and/or certifications may be required for designated positions in this classification.
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Extensive physical activity. Requires strenuous physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects over 50 pounds.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks, such as operating dangerous equipment or working with chemicals.
- Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
The Merage Jewish Community Center of Orange County, California is
located centrally in beautiful Irvine, Newport Beach and Newport Coast,
California. The Merage JCC is located in a 220,000 sq. ft. full service modern
building on the Samueli Jewish Campus. With over 3,000 family units, it has a
suburban feel even though it is only 45 minutes from Los Angeles and 1 hour and
15 minutes from San Diego. The Orange County Jewish Community is home to
approximately 100,000 Jews, many of whom use the J as their destination for