Location and Job Title:
Human Resources Specialist (Generalist)
801 Percy Warner Blvd
Nashville, TN 37205
The Human Resources Specialist will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing the JCC's human resources activities for the Gordon JCC which will create an environment that encourages high performance for employees at all levels of the organization in an engaged, trusting and respectful environment. The HR Specialist will oversee the payroll process. S/he will be expected to develop and administer policies and procedures which support the mission and goals of the JCC and represent best practices of human resource management for both year-round and summer only staff. The HR Specialist will report to the Director of Finance.
Recruitment and Onboarding
- Develop procedures that ensure hiring of the most qualified staff. This includes assisting department heads with job postings, interviews, reference checking, distribution of hiring letters, and rejection letters.
- Execute criminal background checks for all staff.
- Ensure necessary hiring paperwork is completed correctly and in a timely manner
- Create onboarding plans to make sure all staff receive a complete orientation to the Gordon JCC including its mission, services, policies and procedures and expectations regarding job duties and performance.
Payroll, Compensation and Benefits
- Oversee and supervise the JCC's payroll functions
- Ensure the JCC is providing cost effective and comprehensive benefit programs which will support recruitment and retention of high performing staff.
- Assist in administration of all Agency employee benefit programs including medical, dental, long-term disability, life insurance and 403(b) plans.
- Work with third party administrators to confirm employee benefits are managed correctly and benefit issues are resolved.
- Oversee compensation function including ensuring initial wages and increases are based on external market information and internal equity; monitor all payroll actions against budget
Compliance with State and Federal Laws
- Ensure compliance with state and federal employment laws and regulations related to all aspects of the employment process including but not limited to FMLA, FLSA, Workers Compensation, Unemployment Compensation, COBRA, ADA and HIPAA.
- Maintain necessary physical and record systems to support compliance.
- Ensure required employment reports are processed on time. Complete yearly Workers Compensation Audit and 403B reporting.
- Assist in preparation and aid in representing the Gordon JCC in any grievance or dispute.
Employee Engagement and Appreciation
- Champion innovative programs that drive employee satisfaction and team morale.
- Create employee appreciation plans including calendar and budget.
- Oversee logistics of staff recognition/appreciation plan and programs.
- Work with Senior Management to oversee performance evaluation process from format design through supervisor and employee discussion. Ensure written evaluations follow established procedures, reflect employee's performance and are completed in a timely manner.
- Consult with supervisors to address employee performance issues, including creating disciplinary plans and monitoring compliance.
- Assist Senior Management in addressing employee grievances.
- Assist management in the termination process, verify the correct data has been gathered, necessary separation paperwork has been distributed and the JCC policies have been followed.
- Conduct exit interviews on employees that voluntarily leave employment.
- Work with the JCC Executive Team to develop comprehensive training programs for staff at all levels of the organization, including skills training on customer service, team building, sales, general management and other areas as required.
- Develop and maintain relationships with outside consultants and organizations to ensure quality resources for staff training.
- Consistently model appropriate professional conduct and excellent customer service skills when interacting with all employees, members and visitors.
- Participate in staff meetings.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
- Experience in Human Resources
- Knowledge of general HR practices, policies, programs, and procedures.
- Experience with payroll processing software. Knowledge of Paycom a plus.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations governing employment policies and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise integrity and sound judgment in complex and sensitive situations.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate information clearly (both written and oral)
- Ability to work within a flexible and on-demand work schedule as part of the leadership team.
- Extremely organized and detailed oriented
- Ability to problem-solve and work under pressure and time constraints
- Ability and desire to work independently and as a team member with the community and other employees
- Ability to work with diverse belief systems, values, and cultures
35,000 - 45,000
The Gordon Jewish Community Center
(Gordon JCC) is at the center of Jewish life in Nashville, providing recreational,
educational, social and cultural programs and services to over 1,700 member
families. Located on a beautiful 52-acre campus in west Nashville, it is a
place where non-Jews are welcome to join, play and learn side by side with
their Jewish neighbors. Camp Davis, established in 1930's, provides a day camp
experience for hundreds of school-age children each summer.