Location and Job Title:
Assistant Director of Early Childhood Education
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
Statement of the Job
Our organization prides itself on excellence, putting the education and development of our
children first and foremost. When considering a career with the Central Queens YM/YWHA or
the Samuel Field YM/YWHA, know that you will be joining a team that is passionate about
giving young children the right start to a successful education.
The Assistant Director must demonstrate leadership abilities, be organized, detail oriented,
multi-task and take initiative. The Assistant Director assists and reports to the Program Director
in operating the center in accordance with NYC Department of Health, as well as NYC and NYS
Department of Education policies and procedures to create an educational, nurturing and safe
environment for children, staff and parents. The individual is responsible for all school
operations and assumes all Director responsibilities and duties in the absence of the Director.
- Serve as the Site Director as needed and effectively carry out the day to day operations
of the center by communicating with the Director to determine daily responsibilities and
- Perform all necessary daily clerical tasks that the Director requires (phone calls, email,
purchasing, filing and fiscal responsibilities)
- Maintaining staff files and records that pertain to registration, enrollment, health/safety
- Assist with participation recruitment and registration, including processing DOE UPK
- Supervise and review the implementation of DOE and thematic based curriculum via
documented classroom observations.
- Act as a liaison between the site's appointed DOE Instructional Coordinator and the
teaching staff ensuring that all goals are being met.
- Assist teachers in the implementation of family communication and classroom
assessment systems, such as Tadpoles and Teaching Strategies Gold.
- Execute identified steps towards improvement on program performance on the ECERS
- Measure progress of staff using the center's performance evaluation to modify and
- Receive and give instructions to staff through the use of mentoring and or role modeling.
- Address issues with teachers, children and parents in a compassionate, concrete and
- Assists in the hiring and scheduling of substitute teachers.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of marketing plans including but not
limited to taking inquiry and follow up calls, conducting site tours and distributing
registration and enrollment packets.
- Assist in the development of a comprehensive professional development plan for
management and classroom staff at all levels.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Able to lift approximately 40 pounds from floor to waist high.
- Able to travel between sites within the agency
- B.A. In Education or related field and a State Department of Education teacher
certification in Early Childhood Education (B-2) or (N,K, Grades 1-6).
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an Early Childhood Program and three
years of supervisory experience in an educational setting.
- Complies with all Agency, State, City and Federal regulations for a person working in an
Early Childhood setting.
- Highly knowledgeable in working with Google Suite and NYC DOE computer systems
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.