Location and Job Title:
Fogelman Jewish Family Service School Counselor
The Memphis Jewish Community Center (MJCC)
6560 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38138
The School Counselor will direct and coordinate the services needed to meet the social, emotional, developmental, and mental health needs of all K - 8 students at both Bornblum Jewish Community School and Margolin Hebrew Academy.The School Counselor provides oversight for all student counseling services and collaborates with the administration, teaching faculty, support services department, and outside consultants to identify needs and implement support strategies.The School Counselor combines knowledge of social work, mental health, education, and child development to provide varied assessment, prevention, and intervention services.The School Counselor is employed and supervised by Jewish Family Services of the Memphis Jewish Community Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Consult with teachers on social, emotional, and behavioral issues
- Consult with teachers on classroom dynamics
- Address conflicts and social issues as they arise
- Conduct individual and family counseling
- Conduct social skill groups in regards to social and emotional well-being in the classroom setting
- Be available to consult regarding issues that arise in the high school of Margolin Hebrew Academy.
- Communicate regularly with parents
- Collaborate with community agencies, groups and individuals to assist with provision of services to students and families
- Participate in Accommodation Meetings
- Provide staff training and professional development on relevant issue
ABOUT THE POSITION
- This is a full time position working a 10 month academic year
- Competitive and commensurate with experience
- Master's Degree in Social Work or a comparable degree
- Valid TN license in Social Work or comparable field
- Three or more years' experience as a social worker/counselor in the K-8 school setting preferred but not required
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Effective written, verbal, and general communication skills
- Excellent organization, analytical and detailed problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a professional manner as both a self-starter and a team member
$45,000 - $55,000
Located on 24 amazing acres in the heart of East Memphis, The Memphis Jewish Community Center has something for everyone of all shapes and sizes. We have an amazing Early Childhood Center, an expanded Fitness Center, a large outdoor water park, an Art House, Senior Adult gatherings, Summer Camp, After School activities, and most importantly a welcoming environment.