Location and Job Title:
Assistant Director of Aquatics
Arthur M. Glick JCC of Indianapolis
6701 Hoover Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46260
The Assistant Aquatics Director will report to the Aquatics Director and will manage the day-to-day operations of the Aquatics Department. Teaching swim lessons 50% of the time, as well as supervising lifeguards, providing coverage for lifeguards, managing pool operations, managing marketing and assistance with swim team.
Responsible for Supervising the Swim Instructor Staff
- Assists Aquatics Director with supervising swim instructor staff.
- Teaches lessons approximately 20 hours per week.
- Provides additional instructor coverage as needed or required.
Facilitates Camp Swim Lesson Program During Summer
- Supervises camp swim instructor staff.
- Coordinates with JCC Camp Directors.
Responsible for Supervising the Lifeguard Staff
- Assists Aquatics Director with supervising lifeguard staff.
- Provides lifeguard coverage as needed or required.
Manages Lifeguard and Swim Instructor Training
- Supports Director in running required monthly in-services for lifeguard and swim instructor staff.
- Maintains certification log for all staff.
- Conducts American Red Cross Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid, AED, American Red Cross WSI, any additional trainings.
- Preserves course records with American Red Cross.
Manages Pool Operations
- Retains daily pool chemistry and all required logs.
- Conducts weekly pool maintenance.
- Provides pool closure notifications and signage.
Manages Pool Rentals and Events
- Assists Director in coordinating special events, rental and birthday party staff scheduling.
- Keeps weekly reservation calendar.
Manages Aquatics Marketing
- Assists Director with department's social media, including Facebook and Instagram.
- Synchronizes with JCC Marketing department for social media and website updates.
- Confirms brand messaging is consistent for JCC nationally.
Assists with Management of the Swim Team Program
- Manages marketing campaign for the program and communication to parents.
- Upholds the vision and works with Director on strategic plan of the program.
- Weekly staff meetings with Aquatics Director (or more frequently as necessary)
- Will be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays in rotation with Sports/Fitness staff to provide adequate building coverage.
- Participate in monthly staff meetings, board of director meetings and professional training as appropriate.
- Participate in aquatics committee meetings.
- Maintain professional image and manner consistent with the JCC's mission and goals.
- Any additional responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Associates or Bachelor degree preferred. High school diploma or GED required.
- 2+ years Aquatics experience required, experience in pool operations and mechanics preferred.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard or equivalent Lifeguard certification required.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification or ability to obtain certification within 12 months required.
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification preferred, required within 12 months.
- Certified Pool Operator certification preferred.
- Customer service experience required.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and general computer skills.
- Rescue Equipment
- Mechanism that raises and lowers therapy pool floor
- Chair assist
- Chemical test kit to check pool levels
- Computer/word processor for class rosters
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job requires high energy and interaction with staff and members of the community. There is a need for quick decision-making and accountability for actions. May be routinely required to lift/carry/move up to 150 pounds.
over 100 years, members of the Indianapolis community have enjoyed a diverse
range of services for all ages and interests at the JCC Indianapolis. With
recreational, educational and social programs and facilities that include a
fitness center, water park, therapy pool, early childhood education center, art
gallery, indoor tennis center, basketball courts and more, you can't help
but find something to love at the JCC Indianapolis. For more information,