Location and Job Title:
Full Time- ESOL Instructor Adult Workforce
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
Commonpoint Queens (Samuel Field YM&YWHA) Adult Workforce Department consists of employment and support programs serving individuals predominantly adults 18 and over and opportunity youth ages 16-24. The department provides access to occupational training, education, resources, and support programs for individuals who are motivated to enter the workforce.
Program Details: The ESOL instructor at Commonpoint will be the lead instructor for the Partnership for Equity and Economic Advancement, a collaborative initiative of Laguardia Community College and Commonpint Queens. LAGCC and Commonpoint will train English language learners for jobs as community health workers, in order to both open up access to health care careers for English language learners and cultivate a culturally competent workforce fully equipped to serve the diverse patient populations of the New York metropolitan area.
The ESOL instructor at Commonpoint will offer contextualized English language classes to limited English speakers in Queens, raising their English proficiency to a level that gains them entry into specific allied health vocational training/certification programs at LAGCC.
- Develop ESOL curriculum for basic, intermediate, and advanced
- Develop and facilitate sector-based contextualized ESOL instruction with a focus on health care
- Conduct intake and outreach for potential ESOL clients
- Collaborate with the workforce team for job placement and wrap around services for ESOL learners
- Participate as a member of the BOOST team to develop individualized program plans for each ESOL client and a seamless referral process with LAGCC community health worker program
- Manage all data on clients and BOOST program in Salesforce client management system
- Attend all relevant meetings, trainings, workshops and outside events as needed
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bachelor's Degree in social work, education, counseling, public policy, or related field
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in ESOL instruction
- Demonstrated experience in developing lesson plans and facilitating classroom lessons and workshops
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to closely collaborate with colleagues and partners to work as part of a team to promote successful outcomes for ESOL learners
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.