You are here: Home
| Search for a Job
Location and Job Title:
Summer Sleepaway Camp Counselor
Surprise Lake Camp
382 Lake Surprise Road
Cold Spring, NY 10516
Apply externally at https://surpriselake.campintouch.com/ui/forms/appl...
Counselors are the leader, helper, listener, and above all, the role model. As a counselor, you will laugh, cry, sing, sweat, and work harder than you ever thought you could.
Some days you'll try to change the world, and some days you'll just try to make it until "lights out."
Your wallet may be empty, but your heart will be full, and your mind will be packed with memories of kids whose lives you will have changed . . . and you, too, will emerge from the summer changed.
This live-in position begins June 19 and lasts through August 18. Housing and three meals a day are provided to all staff.
- At least 17 years of age and a High School graduate
- Experience working with children
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills
- Basic knowledge of Jewish culture and traditions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Desire and ability to work with children of all ages
- Demonstrated responsibility and dependability
- Exhibit patience and understanding
- Ability to receive and follow detailed instruction
- Maintain a high level of alertness, keeping safety in mind at all times
- Capable of working under pressure and staying flexible in an ever-changing, sometimes hectic environment
- Ability to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time
- Ability to work up to 60 hours weekly
- Supervised by Unit Supervisor and Head Counselor(s).
- Provide a safe and healthy environment, both physically and mentally.
- Serve as a role model and provide support to campers.
- Establish a relationship with each child, learning their likes and dislikes.
- Put the needs of children first and treat each child with respect and dignity.
- Mediate camper problems and offer productive solutions (asking for help when needed).
- Assist in the daily maintenance of camper cabins, ensuring safety and cleanliness.
- Assist campers with their preparation for each day; ensure proper hygiene, appropriate clothing for forecasted weather, sunscreen, towels for swim, sneakers for sports, etc.
- Actively participate in all programs, activities, and special events, supporting the people leading them; this includes but is not limited to hikes, overnights, Jewish programming and Shabbat services, sports, music/singing, etc.
- Plan and implement activities that fit the camper's needs and interests.This includes, but is not limited to, evening and rainy-day programs.
- Actively supervise and provide structured activities during rest hour
- Ensure that all activities are mission supportive.
- Take responsibility for camp supplies, equipment, and materials - signing out and returning items to their proper place.
- Fully participate in general staff orientation and all staff meetings.
- Be willing to request help, advice, and feedback from peers and/or supervisors.
- Be responsible for knowing and adhering to camp policies, procedures, safety, and emergency policies.
- Report all suspicions of child abuse, bullying, or rule-breaking to proper authorities.
- Report injuries or behavioral issue to the supervisor.
- Complete all written camper evaluations at end of each session.
- Serve in shmira (night watch) rotation as scheduled.
- Help prepare camp for opening at beginning of summer and final clean up at end of summer.
- Be consistent. Remember that you, too, are worthy of rest and renewal. Take care of yourself.
Since 1902, Surprise Lake Camp has provided a haven for children in the beautiful mountains of Cold Spring, NY. What makes SLC the best is the beauty of the site, the richness of the people and the program, the sense of history and tradition, and the magic we create when the whole thing comes together. We blend a commitment to traditional, rustic camp experiences with state of the art recreational facilities and are particularly proud of our open, inclusive community that is sensitive to the needs of interfaith and diverse families.