Location and Job Title:
JCC of Stamford
1035 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
Main Role: The inclusion specialist role within the JCC is to assist with accommodations for people with all abilities in any already existing programs at the J. The specialist will work with the inclusion department to plan and implement inclusive programs that support children with social skills and peer interactions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Academic Year Duties
- Create inclusive programming throughout the academic year for children of all abilities
- Push into already existing programs that the JCC provides if a family with a child with special needs inquiries about
- Collaborate with Inclusion Director to develop trainings for JCC employees and/or communicate with outside vendors to create trainings to make the environment a more inclusive one
- Support JCC employees if they need help with a specific child or structure of their program to better suit all children
- Teaching assistant role in a classroom for two years old with needs during the hours of 9 am-3 pm
- Create flyers and support Educational Coordinator with JumpSTARs events
- Hire and Manage Hand in Hand counselors
- Meet with new families for Hand in Hand (Give them a tour of the facility)
- With the support of the Inclusion Director, communicate with the child's team to collect information prior to camp
- Create behavior and inclusion training for all counselors at Day camps @the J
- Accommodate all campers and modify activities to set up campers for success
- During camp your role will be overseeing counselors and supporting them throughout the day with camper management.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Connecting: Networking outside of the JCC organization
- Flexible schedule: work weekends and longer hours during the summer months
- Dedication and commitment to the work of inclusion.
- Being open to accept children with all needs and abilities (accommodate their world not ours)
- BA required in a related field to special education, OT, psychology, counseling, or education
- Strong communication skills as you will be communication with parents, school district and outside nonprofits
- Have at least 2 years of experience working with children with special needs
- Summer camp experience preferred
- Must be confident to manage counselors during the summer
- Enjoy working in a team setting
45,000 - 55,000
The Stamford Jewish Community Center is a cultural, educational and recreational center, offering exceptional programs, classes and special events designed to enrich the mind, body and spirit. While we are driven by the Jewish values of welcoming guests, kindness, respect, and communal responsibility, we warmly welcome people of all ages, faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds.