Location and Job Title:
Membership and Communications Director
Katie and Irwin Kahn Jewish Community Center
306 Flora Drive
Columbia, SC 29223
Responsible for planning, developing, and supervising programs and special events designed to add value to membership and to retain present membership. Responsible for planning and implementing strategies and programs for marketing and sale of membership in the JCC. Responsible for promoting all JCC activities by creating print publications for distribution to JCC members and the community. Activities are promoted through newspapers, radio and TV stations. Acts as a liaison with the media. In many cases he/she creates leads for stories and in turn is used as a point of reference for activities in the Jewish Community. Communicates with our members and the public about our programs and services.
- Giving tours of the building, interviewing, and registering new members. Follow-up on prospective members.
- Interviewing and evaluating members who need scholarships for financial aid and calculating amount. Verify financial information.
- Developing and supervising the procedures for membership retention. Make personal phone calls to non-renewals.
- Supervise and inform membership assistants.
- Advises the Welcome Desk associates regarding membership policies and procedures. Inventories membership supplies. Instructs receptionist on taking membership documentation.
- Works with Membership Committee. Prepares and copies agenda for meeting in cooperation with the chairperson. Records minutes at meetings and types them for distribution.
- Supervising and training staff that have sales contact with the members or potential members.
- Ordering supplies needed for membership and other promotional material.
- Reacting to change productively, handling other essential tasks as necessary and general responsibilities of all JCC staff which includes participation in staff meetings and participation in programs or events as required or other staff team functions.
- Seeing that membership cards are ready in a timely manner for new members and present members who need replacement cards.
- Listening to members' complaints and refers to the appropriate departments for addressing and solving problems.
- Preparing yearly budget for the department.
- Fulfilling requests from JCC Department Directors for mailers, flyers, brochures, forms, posters, etc., to support or promote JCC programming and community events, which the JCC sponsors.
- Creating lobby displays for Open Houses, special events, Jewish Holidays, etc.
- Developing and maintaining online content
- Managing of the materials displayed in the lobby and on the bulletin boards.
- Supervising the creation of advertisements.
- Managing Open Houses
- Developing and carrying out membership sales campaigns throughout the year.
- Maintaining the JCC's website.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college; or three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. One year supervisory experience and formal supervisor training courses.
Strong communication skills in writing and verbally. Ability to read and interpret documents. Ability to write reports and compose correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively with groups of customers or employees of the JCC. Ability to compose, write and edit flyers, newsletters, ad copy, press releases, letters and other communications. Ability to use proper grammar, punctuation, and proof-reading skills.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals and calculate discounts.
35,000 - 45,000
The mission of the Katie & Irwin Kahn Jewish Community Center is to enhance quality of life by providing comprehensive programs based on Jewish values, traditions, heritage and culture. The Center aims to promote unity through these social, recreational, athletic, educational and cultural programs. We also strive to meet individual and communal needs in a way that promotes Jewish values and in turn nurtures, strengthens, enriches and unites the Jewish community and our community as a whole.